Jack's SAS version 3.0 | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jack's SAS version 3.0

I am consolidating my build thread and the sas build into one thread so below is a link to my original build thread in case anyone has too much time on their hands and wants to see how this whole ordeal started.

notajeep_wv build thread

the next step.. SAS parts update 2/18

Its time for a SAS, time to take making Jeeps look bad to the next level lol
Lets keeps track of how much this is costing me so I can look back at it later and think of all the other things I could have done with the money.

what ended up on the truck..

74 EB D44 with track bar, steering, 2 sets of RAs - $200
F150 knuckles, spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers - $35
MileMarker premium hubs - $80
4.89 G2 gear set - $175
4.88 G2 gear set - $200
D44 install kit - $80
5.5 WH coils - $160
Duff SAS trac bar bracket - $150
Duff Coil seats - $75
D44 TruTrac - $425
7* bushing kit - $50
Moog HD ball joints - $120
axle joints - $40
Duff steering - $350
Cooper 35x12.50 STTs - $840
custom built trac bar - $80
F250 shock towers - $30

eh, its a start

axle3.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well the Explorer survived a trip to Big Dogs... minus a broken LH axle u-joint from trying to pull 'that one guy that has to try everything' off of a rock. the leaf springs hate me.. the truck is sagging. I think the truck likes rocks just about as much as I do, which isnt very much. heres a few pics of the SAS flexing out a little..

217.jpg
218.jpg
219.jpg
220.jpg
221.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

SOA is ALMOST done, factory leaf packs, OE shackles. sits 3/4" higher then before, but virtually nothing hanging down to snag rocks/obstacles.

my 2 biggest concerns is the loss of flex from using a stock leaf pack and the shorter shackles, and also the lack of clearance between the frame rail and the OE shackles. measuring the warrior shackles the centers are 9" apart, OE shackles are 5.5" apart, thinking about 7" shackles with a center tie to help out a little more.

any ideas?

thanks to Mike and Jared for helping with the SOA swap. now the truck LOOKS level even though the rear measures higher. stock leafs and shackles on top the axle gives me the height but robs me of the flex of lift packs and shackles. I'll have to play with this setup and get some movement back.

222.jpg
223.jpg

oh, and no more green wheel thanks to some rattle canning from the wife

224.jpg

SOA is ALMOST done, factory leaf packs, OE shackles. sits 3/4" higher then before, but virtually nothing hanging down to snag rocks/obstacles.

my 2 biggest concerns is the loss of flex from using a stock leaf pack and the shorter shackles, and also the lack of clearance between the frame rail and the OE shackles. measuring the warrior shackles the centers are 9" apart, OE shackles are 5.5" apart, thinking about 7" shackles with a center tie to help out a little more.

any ideas?
No ideas... ive been running stock springs/ stock shackles SOA for years and it flexs like a ****. But im also fullwidth which helps alot.

No ideas... ive been running stock springs/ stock shackles SOA for years and it flexs like a ****. But im also fullwidth which helps alot.

If I've lost any flex I can't tell.. truck flexes over everything, really happy with the SOA. Cheapest/best mod I've done.

Ive been running the SAS for well over 1000 miles now and it has held up great. Made the Explorer a completely different vehicle. Like any swap there are still a few bugs I'm finding that need worked out but al in all no major issues.

After yesterday I need to go through my steering. Poppped out of a hole, hit a rut, now the steering wheel is clocked 180 out. Has to be the drag link? right? well I hope. I think i will be ordering a new drag link anyway and run it all the way to the knuckle instead of using the saddle bracket from the Duff kit.

It isn't a post without some pics..

225.jpg

this is after i pulled the quarter out by hand, still a little wrinkle, oh well

226.jpg
227.jpg

as a disclaimer, i do not like mud, but it was 68 yesterday and combined with snow melt and rain the day before there was no avoiding it

I knew there was more than just that reason to use 2wd lol. I couldn't remember and know it all me didn't actually look at the chart first.

BTW awesome flex shot in that last pic :thumbsup:

update. cut down a set of main leafs from some explorer packs I had, installed, added about 1.5-2" in the rear, truck 'looks' level with the rear raked slightly.

heres where the fun starts to happen.. i knew i was reaching the limits of the slip in the rear dshaft when i had it out for the add a leaf but didnt realize how much till I was driving through the middle of town during rush hour. truck a few spots ahead of me braked hard on a downhill part of the road, i locked them up, front went down thanks to the soft springs, rear came up, slip came apart... yeah, you can guess the rest.

pulled off onto a side street, watched the boot roll down the road after me, took the dshaft off, drove it home in 2wd. fun times. new lengthened dshaft was installed, no more issues.

funny though.. when inspecting the undercarriage for broken lines, wires, dents, scrapes, i happened to look up front to see the pinion seal on the 44 leaking. looked closer and the pinion nut was backed off, a lot. idk what happened there.

well its been about 9 months and 7500 miles since the swap. and here are a few things I can say I should have done differently..

first, front air or electric locker instead of the true trac. dont get me wrong the true trac is a good traction device, but there is no substitute for a true locker. ive managed to get pretty good and tapping the brakes to get both tires to spin though.

second, super swampers over ANY commercial MT or max traction tire. time and time again im getting shown up, wait.. thats harsh, I'm getting annoyed by my friends with tsl's or irok's walking through things I had trouble with. needless to say im gonna start looking for swampers and selling my coopers.

third.. and this changes daily. I could have gone with less lift and 33s and still been happy I think.

Anyone besides me still following this garbage? lol

Front pinion bearings are SHOT.. idk if the front ds is too short pulling on the yoke or what but the nut was backed off to the ujoint. tightened it back up but it was too late, theyre toast.

then again my pinion angle isnt a thing of beauty.

Im here lol

I am too at times... lol

229.jpg

bad pinion bearings and apparently inner axle seals. goes in next week hopefully, need to get this junk ready for Big Dogs in september

..I'm here sometimes.....:shifty_ey ..then I'm gone...:D

Back