Numerous codes after welding work was performed. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Numerous codes after welding work was performed.

DTD

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 eddie bauer
I will do my best to explain.

My truck has been in body shop last 2 weeks getting some frame work done. They called em to tell me they were finished so I picked up vehicle and took it to go get a front end alignment. On the way to the alignment shop i noticed my stereo (aftermarket) shut off twice on its own within a 20 min time period. Its never done that before.

Get done at alignment shop, can't get aligned still, so i drive back to Auto body shop. He pulls the frame some more and when i go to pick it up it starts up, I start to pull away then it died. It took me cranking about 5 times to get it to fire again. I start driving and when i come to a stop, again it does. At this point I think I'm low on fuel/fuel lines may be froze so i go fill up, couldn't get the car to fire for at least 20 min.

Finally got it fired up and I had to "two_foot" it back to the house. If it stopped and let off the gas it would die. When I got home I let it run in park for about 20 min. Turned off the key and it fired right up.

It seems to fire right up after it runs for a bit, but when I first attempt to start it it idles for about 3-5 seconds then dies. When it dies i can also hear the fuel pump kicking on and off intermittently. I first thought it was electrical because of my stereo, but now I do not know.

I very recently replaced the transmission, fuel filter, did some exhaust work.

The codes that I pulled are 114,116,327,636....Any help would be kindle appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did they disconnect any ground wires on the frame while working on the truck? To me it kind of sounds like a lose connection or bad alternator.

welcome to the forum, i dont know about the codes but have you checked the vacuum lines it sounds like its not holding the right circulation the truck would be sluggish and may take alot to start up and probably wouldnt stay idle for a while or at least it would feel like it was misfiring and then die eventually...

114 is intake air temp control intermittent
116 engine coolant temp circuit range/performance problem
327 knock semsor 1 circuit low input(bank 1 or single circuit)
636 power steering control circuit low

i dont know much about the codes was just posting them to help u out hope someone can answer your question ...good luck

Update: New codes 35, 539, 335, 332, 10

This morning my truck would not start, just cranking. I unplugged the vacuum lines off of EGR valve and it fired up perfectly. Does anyone have a diagram on how these vacuum lines should be hooked up? I know they didnt touch anything under the hood, so how did this happen? I know a few of the codes were EGR related. I just replaced EGR vavle and tube about 3 months ago.

welcome

Ford OBD I code list at Troublecodes.net

35 EVP - Engine RPM's too low to test EGR system - EVP

332 EGR did not open/respond during test or if memory code, did not open intermittantly - EVR or PFE

335 EGR feedback signal is/was out of range - EVR or PFE

529 Data Communications Link to processor failure Service any EEC codes, erase memory and retest If code is still present refer to instrument cluster diagnosis manual

Don't know what 10 is.

It looks like an EGR problem to me. With the way you described it with "two-foot" driving, I would think the EGR valve was stuck open.

It wont idle with it open. Pull the EGR valve and plug the hole just to test it.

Bob

Update.

Drove truck for about 45 minutes, was about home and it died while I was doing about 55mph. Its really hard to get it to start. I have to turn the key on a few times to let the fuel pump kick in a few times then it will turn over.

I performed another KOER test and i am pulling up code 326- EGR sensor circuit voltage lower than expected. I tested the vacuum solenoid. I had 10 volts with key on at the harness. Checked resistance and had 4.4 I think across the solenoid itself. So thats okay.

I then checked the DPFE harness and it putting out 4 volts.

I hooked up a suction tube and could hear the diaphram moving so i think it's ok. i just replaced that and EGR tube 3-4 months ago.

During KOEO I pulled up codes:

332- Insufficient EGR flow detected
335- EGR sensor circuit higher or lower than expected

What in the world is going on????:mad:

Were they welding on the frame?

Yes they had to weld the back mount on the passenger side for my lower control arm....Why, What's up?

Well, if the proper precautions weren't taken, it's possible to put a current surge through the computer and damage it, but I would try and rule out all other causes before going down that route.

Well, if the proper precautions weren't taken, it's possible to put a current surge through the computer and damage it, but I would try and rule out all other causes before going down that route.

I'm not sure what all to check now. I mean, doesnt the EGR system affect it only while on highway? It shouldnt be open at all while idling or even driving at lower speeds. The engine sounds funny, it has a pulsating sound, and the damn thing is a beast to start.

I also have a breach in the exhaust system at the flanger at the tail-end of the cat converter going into the muffler. It leaking exhaust/moisture out of there pretty good. This surely wouldnt affect things at the engine, would it?

what year and engine does your vehicle have? I will see if I could trace power flow through schematics and hopefully rule out voltage backfeeding into the pcm, alternator, etc. Hope to help you out

1995 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer.

4.1 V-6

Thanks!

If the ECU was damaged, I don't think his truck would run.. when did they start putting in PATS?

totally unrelated to your problem but, if i read this correctly, did you say you went to get an alignment done, then took it back to the body shop so they could pull the frame more? if that is the case, they shouldn't be asking you to get the alignment done until the frame is straight.

Ok, I got bored and decided I'd do my own diagnosis.

I found that the EVR Solenoid (controls egr percentage by voltage recieved from pcm) is on circuit c361 and shares a common splice s167 with fuel injectors, cam sensor, and trans. The radio recieves ground from g100 and is on c57. The PCM connects to the EVR Solenoid at c202 pin 33, and shares a common ground, g100. So, this is going out on a limb, but it could be possibly a voltage spike was sent through the frame, took the path of least resistance through ground 100, and has damaged the radio, pcm or evr, and anything else that is exhibiting problems since the symptoms occured. Maybe this will help, let me know how your diagnosis goes and if you have any further questions, please ask!

The truck ran fine though after the welding was done.
I took it to an alignment shop, they couldnt align so I drove back to bodyshop.
The bodyshop used the genesis system, which put me at 1.5 degrees short on caster.
So thats why I took back to bodyshop.

So no problems yet.

I dropped off at bodyshop and they just did a slight frame pull and pulled out the "setback" in the right front. I went to pick it up and it died leaving his lot.

Where is a dirgram so I can see ground 100?

Also, lets say this did happen during the time they welded it, wouldnt it blow a fuse or a relay or anything else like that? My fuel pump doesnt kick on every time i turn the key to run either. Its like 8 out of 10 times it does.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back