Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

O/D lockout works in park but not in Drive

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by Renner, May 17, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Renner

Renner New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2002 Explorer, XLT 4.0L
      First post and first explorer. SO anyways i just bought a 2002 Ex xlt 4.0 and the O/D lockout will not work wile in drive or driving. but it will work while in park and the lich in the cluster illuminates is this common or has anyone ever seen this problem ?? also figured i would add the light is NOT blinking either.

Finally had time to check it out turns out about 1.5" from where the wires in the shift handle come out both wires were broken and when in park would make contact. Its a very tight bend if anyone has this similar issue or has the cover off i suggest rerouting the wires so there is not such a tight bend.

Thanks

E

Last edited: May 19, 2017
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      Very common issue. This will often ground out and blow the fuse, which also has the reverse lights on it.