O/D off Blinking, the day after new valve body gasket installed. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

O/D off Blinking, the day after new valve body gasket installed.

STC59

Reaction score
City, State
King NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer Explorer
The tranny seems to shift fine through all gears .Light went off for a mile or two,but came back blinking again.I added tranny fluid,what could be the cause.Or with this vehicle the MANY causes..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the code and what was is doing before the gaskets were replaced?

What is the code and what was is doing before the gaskets were replaced?
I have no code,but the tranny would slip going into 5th and eventually after a couple of days not go into 5th.The gaskets solved that problem.The next day though,I start the Explorer and the Blinking begins.

I have no code,but the tranny would slip going into 5th and eventually after a couple of days not go into 5th.The gaskets solved that problem.The next day though,I start the Explorer and the Blinking begins.
The light will also stop flashing also.I am not sure how long it stays off.but it came back on...

Maybe the scanner you are using is unable to retrieve transmission codes. If the light has or is flashing there should be a code stored.

Maybe the scanner you are using is unable to retrieve transmission codes. If the light has or is flashing there should be a code stored.
0741 and 0735 are the codes..Explorer shifts fine thru all of the gears.RPM is 2500 at 70 mph so I am pretty sure 5th gear works.Unfortunately there seems to be no definitive answer...the truck seems to run fine,should I just ignore the light or go back in and muddle around?

Gear ratio error in 5th - P0735 could be a problem the overdrive servo.

TCC Stuck off - P0741 could be problems with the valve body, converter, stator sealing ring.

If you end up pulling the valve body you can air check the servo.

Thanks for the info.I believe that there is some investigating to be done...

Back