• Register Today It's free!

O2 sensor location

jennifer780

Reaction score
City, State
dearborn heights, mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 eddie bauer
My idiot light on a 97' 4.0 sohc eddie bauer keeps coming up with the codes 420, and 430- catalyst efficiency below threshold bank1 and bank 2 respectively. I am assuming O2 sensors need to be replaced, however I do not know where bank 1 and 2 are located, and whether they are before or after the catalytic converter. Please help!!!!
Jennifer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a thread that might help. You could find a lot more about the 02 sensors. Search for "02 sensor". Welcome to the site. Lots of great info. here.

briwayjones said:
Here's a thread that might help. You could find a lot more about the 02 sensors. Search for "02 sensor". Welcome to the site. Lots of great info. here.

Ummm...forget to get her the thread?

techieman33 said:
They should be before each cat, i'm pretty sure you have 2 cats, so look for one on the top of the exaust before each cat, it should be the only cable leaving the exaust pipe.

Actually, I believe there will be 4: Two upstream of the cats that monitor engine output, and two downstream of the cats that monitor catalyst efficiency.

Based on that code, I believe the downstream cats are reading something weird.... your converter could be plugged, or the catalyst could be gunked-up.... it's also possible the wires got frayed or corroded to the sensors(s) as well....

-Joe

First have you tried resetting the computer to see if the Check Engine Light goes away/comes back?

Those aren't Oxygen Sensors codes, your cats are more than likely shot.

Back