Obama's Flow Is Adequately Hydrated | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Obama's Flow Is Adequately Hydrated

I dont know if this matter to you or not, but the company that makes my diff cover actually advertise it as a place to mount hydro (with the 1/2 center section of course)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont know if this matter to you or not, but the company that makes my diff cover actually advertise it as a place to mount hydro (with the 1/2 center section of course)
Yeah -- for the past few weeks, I've been debating whether or not to put part of the mounting on there. And it seems like a lot of people are mounting their cylinders on the cover -- even for hydro-assisted setups. So I decided F it, I'll put one mount on there.

Parts from that 2d drawing posted earlier:
IMG_12311.jpg

Also went out and measured exactly how much travel the link between the two knuckles does from lock to lock and I got exactly 6.5 inches -- so that means limiting the cylinder 1.5 inches since it has an 8 inch stroke. Sooo, that means limiting each side by 0.75 inches. Here are the internal limiters made from aluminum (1.25" ID - 0.25" wall - 0.75" long):

IMG_1230.jpg

IMG_12331.jpg

waiting for install is nerve wracking

waiting.jpg

do you need heims yet, I have some poly perf heims im not using.

Thanks -- but I have the heims (pictured in post #43)

slooow progresss

Clevis to weld to link between cylinder and knuckle.
clevis_unwelded.jpg

Nice! What attaches to the other side of the square tubing?

Nice! What attaches to the other side of the square tubing?
Maybe this will make things a little easier to visualize. The steel shaft coming in fromt he left is the hydraulic cylinder's rod/shaft. The clevis parts need to be welded tomorrow :

clevis_unwelded2.jpg

The tube that links between the steering knuckles right now is one piece of 1.5" OD, 1.0" ID, 0.25" wall tubing. A section of that tubing will be chopped off and the round end of the clevis (at the far right of the picture above) will slide inside the tube and welded. Of course there are two of these clevis cauz there will be two links, one for each knuckle.

Hawt.
sheeep.gif

- welded up the twp clevis
- removed the Toyota IFS gearbox
- removed steering pump so I can get its high pressure hose converted to JIC-6
- removed steering shafts
- enlarged steering shaft hole so I can push the firewall forward just a little bit in this section -- to make room for the steering valve which will be mounted inside the cab.

Hole on the firewall for steering valve :

(outside the cab)
firewall_hole.jpg

(inside the cab)
firewall_hole2.jpg

Done yet? :D

Neh -- this weekend I hope to at least get the steering valve in. But my cousins from NY are visiting soooo not sure if they'll give me enough time to do the cutting of the steel. But after the valve is in, everything should be pretty easy cauz its so cramped between the firewall and the steering wheel.

Steering shaft of d00m:
steering_shaft.jpg

Steering valve:
steeringvalve_mounted.jpg

The valve looks like it might get in the way between the two pedals but I think it will be fine (the camera's flash ruins depth perception).
I am going to cut/bend the brake pedal and move it maybe an inch or so to the left for good measure.

The hydraulic hoses will be connected to 90 degree fittings and will run down through the floor (holes yet to be drilled).

This shows the angle of the U-joint connecting the steering valve to the rest of the steering wheel:

steering_shaft_joint.jpg

I might be asking a stupid question, or asking about the obvious, but..... What happens if the engine dies and you can't get it started like what happened to Tom's rig when he rolled it at Truckhaven? You won't be able to steer, correct??

Correct. If the pump is serpentine driven, no running engine = no steering.

IIRC someone(i think redranger) mentioned a forklift orbital valve that allowed steering without hydraulic pressure.... ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IIRC someone(i think redranger) mentioned a forklift orbital valve that allowed steering without hydraulic pressure.... ?
Yes there are some, these valves isolate the input/output flow in such conditions and so pressure is kept between the valve and the cylinder.

Back