Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Obd 2 alternator in obd 1 wiring loom

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer 911!' started by booyackshaw, May 2, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. booyackshaw

booyackshaw Member

Media:
      City, State:
      molalla Oregon
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1990 XLT ranger 4x4 4.0
      Okay so I have already built my truck and I'm looking at getting a new alternator because my old one's pulley is egg shaped, squeaks and is the wrong one for my motor swap, the 3rd hole doesn't line up so I used a long bolt and washers to fashion it down which I'd like to get rid of and put the alternator on the motor which belongs there so it can be properly secured...

Here is my motor swap
      http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...c-iv-ranger-99-sohc-swap-a4ld-to-m5od.455641/

So I have a 99 4.0 sohc with a 90 alternator bolted to the motor, all being ran by the 1990 eec-iv computer.

I've done several searches to find the wiring diagram and pin outs for a 1990 ranger 4.0 charging system and I can only happen to find 86-89 and 91-94.

I do not own a Haynes manual and currently can't afford one but I assume that's where I could find the info I'm looking for possibly, any help?

When I first did the engine swap I saw the alternator plugs were quite different and I hardly remember but I think there was a different amount of wires on both the 90 compared to the 99 so anyone who can help me figure this out will be helping me give more info to those performing a sohc swap in their early model fords just like mine.

To this point I haven't yet searched for the 99 wiring diagram but just the fact I can't find the 1990 diagram has got me upset enough to ask for help.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. booyackshaw

booyackshaw Member

Media:
      City, State:
      molalla Oregon
      1990 XLT ranger 4x4 4.0
      I have now found the 99 sohc overview of what plugs are what number and I have circled the two plugs currently in question on the newer 1999 alternator.

IMG_0504.jpg
      C121 and C122

4. booyackshaw

booyackshaw Member

Media:
      City, State:
      molalla Oregon
      1990 XLT ranger 4x4 4.0
      Now I have found C121,C122 but this information means nothing to me if I don't have the 1990 to cross reference where and what I'm splicing to and from

IMG_0508.jpg
      IMG_0509.jpg

5. booyackshaw

booyackshaw Member

Media:
      City, State:
      molalla Oregon
      1990 XLT ranger 4x4 4.0
      Now I have found a similar wiring diagram... this is from a 1990 bronco 2 4.0 ohv

I think this wiring loom should be identical with my 1990 ranger 4.0 ohv

IMG_0510.JPG IMG_0510.JPG

And here it is zoomed in for easy access

IMG_0510.JPG

6. booyackshaw

booyackshaw Member

Media:
      City, State:
      molalla Oregon
      1990 XLT ranger 4x4 4.0
      At this point I'm confused as to if this is even possible, the wiring has got me so confused. I mean I can splice basic wiring but this is very confusing. I think my next step is to go to the junkyard and cut the wiring I want to swap to, then post a pic of the new plugs and the old plugs I'm trying to splice into the new.
      But until then, anyone got thoughts, pointers, detailed questions to make me research something I haven't yet done?
      I do have a soldering gun and solder, I do have a few types of wire connectors, my favorite style is butt connectors and that might be what I go with if someone doesn't convince me of soldering it together which I've never done before.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    7. booyackshaw

booyackshaw Member

Media:
      City, State:
      molalla Oregon
      1990 XLT ranger 4x4 4.0
      Okay now I see it's much simpler than the headache I imagined before hand, seems like from those diagrams the wires I'm splicing are identical colors...

IMG_0515.PNG

So I'll have to delete the extra wire to the spare/unused fuse location in the power distribution box, my next challenge is, will I have to upgrade fuses because the 1990 alternator output is 80 amps, and the 1999 alternator is 130 amps. Which is definitely helpful for my next upgrade which will be an electric fan... so how do I go about these fuses now?

8. booyackshaw

booyackshaw Member

Media:
      City, State:
      molalla Oregon
      1990 XLT ranger 4x4 4.0
      Okay from the diagram below it seems my main alternator to power distribution box fuse may be 60 amps, which is approx 80% of the full potentiometer of the old 80 amp alternator. Now this secondary fuse which says it could be 50 amps is not existent in my pickup, but I bet the wire is there, just nothing wired to use it. Also found this guy on a tech forum....

IMG_0516.GIF
      IMG_0517.PNG

So my next problem is, if I want to keep my ORG/LHT BLU secondary output, how would I wire that into the new system which doesn't have a secondary wire in the plug? Do I just go ahead and splice the main and secondary wires into a single wire before it goes directly into the one slot in the new plug?