Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

OBD2 port lock?

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorer Sport Tuning' started by dont slow down, November 29, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. dont slow down

dont slow down Active Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2013 Explorer XLT
      So for all you guys that have added tunes to your Explorer or modified modules via Forscan, do any of you have a OBD port lock installed? I've seen covers for them before but I would like another layer of protection. Basically I added remote start, navigation, and a few other changes to our Ex and if I ever take it in for any service I want to know they wont mess with the computer without consulting me first and erase all my changes for no reason. A google search came up with a few:

Auto & Truck Accessories | Marysville | BEM Auto
      This one looks nice, compact, not over priced, however I don't see how it locks onto the port though and the key doesn't look unique.

AutoCyb – AUTOCYB: Driving Freedom

This one looks pretty nice too. A little bigger but the key looks more unique and its borderline expensive.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with either of these or any other OBD lock device out there?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. thefranchise713

thefranchise713 Active Member

City, State:
      Buffalo, NY
      '17 Explorer Limited 4WD
      Honestly, if I were you I'd forego that and just download flat files of the BCM, APIM, and any other modules you've modified. I keep backups for that reason. If I were a tech I'd be frustrated with that if my diagnostic track required me to pull some PIDs or perform a flash.

Restoring them, at worst, is only a few clicks at that point.

4. dont slow down

dont slow down Active Member

2013 Explorer XLT
      I have downloaded backup copies of all my build data and yes it may be a bit petty of me to want to do this however I like the warm fuzzy feeling of knowing I'm in complete control of things that I own. I can't trust techs to look out for me and not screw something up that I have gotten just the way I want it. I especially want this protection in case somewhere in time they flash the car with a version that is no longer able to be changed (closing the loophole). Then poof there goes my navigation.