OEM Hankook Tires, Like or Dislike | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OEM Hankook Tires, Like or Dislike

Only thing I hate about mine, is mine have very little grip when I'm on wet pavement, and start to go from a stop (damn FWD). I can spin my tires without much throttle. I have 36k or so on them but. Since I don't know what the original depth was I can't say they need to replaced or not (original owner towed a boat and took many trips, put 27k miles in one year)

Besides that I love them, nice and quiet, smooth and grip on turns very well.

I'm thinking of getting them again, but not sure if I should just bite the bullet and get Michelin's instead (double the price)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Recently replaced the Hankook's at 50,000+ miles with Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus. Never had a problem with the Hankooks. Quiet, smooth riding, and responsive under all road conditions. And Colorado roads can be a challenge. I've logged almost 5,000 on the Pirelli's and they are doing very well. The ride is smother than the Hankook's and they seem to grip the road a little better. Looking forward to see how they perform this winter.

The Bridgestone Dueler Alenza tires are aces in my book. The are by far the best all season SUV tire for the snow.

any chance you could post a picture of the tire tread? I see pictures online but not sure if it's the actual tire.

Hankook tires unavailble, UNBELIVEABLE

So I just got my 2016 Sport last week. Found a nail in the tire sidewall this morning. Went to Discount Tire to buy a new one, not available. Called TireRack, backordered until December, called Ford dealer, and they searched across the country and pretty much every tire they found they could not get as they were being held for another customer already.
I had a similar thing happen on my 2011 Explorer. I can not believe Ford uses tires that a customer can not replace.

WTF am I supposed to do now? Buy a new set of tires for a $50k vehicle with less that 250 miles on it?

Un-freaken believable.

Isn't there a warranty on the tire? Or does it not apply to nails?

Worst case is you buy another tire from a different manufacturer. I had to do that with my sister's Fusion. Had contipro contacts but haf to buy a michelin of the same size. Same thing really if you're not racing with it.

The nail is in the sidewall. I have a feeling some a$$ hat in my neighborhood is ruining peoples tires but that is a different problem.

Yes I can buy some other tire and put on there, but I just can't believe Ford again puts out a vehicle with tires that are near impossible to find. This is twice for me now.

Would your dealer consider swapping a tire with something on his lot since you just bought it? Then he can figure out sourcing another tire. He might be able to wait it out if he has enough inventory. Hope you have a good relationship with them

Ford isn't going to change tires because they aren't available for repurchase.
It's ridiculous you think this is an issue.

This is a serious issue with Ford lately and I doubt it's by accident. It seems Ford is purposefully putting on rim sizes that severely limit the tire selection.

Pretty unbelievable that you can't find that tire anywhere. But based on my personal experience with Hankook tires on another vehicle at only 6,500 miles, experiencing tread separation, I would get rid of all of them and buy Michelins. Maybe discount tire can work you out a trade in deal for all your tires since they are basically hardly used? When I bought my 15 just recently, I was prepared to immediately go to Discount Tire and see if I could work a deal on trading the Hankooks for Michelins, but luckily my 15 Explorer came with Michelins on it. All the new 16s at my dealer and my new 15 all had Michelins on them at the dealer. If I had to recommend a Michelin tire to you, I would recommend the LTXMS2, if it is available for the Explorer. It is a tough tire that gets great reviews. But good luck finding your Hankook.

This is a serious issue with Ford lately and I doubt it's by accident. It seems Ford is purposefully putting on rim sizes that severely limit the tire selection.

I think the OP's point is that it's MATCHING the other 3, vs. another brand/model tire for the rim.

Yes, Ford has a tendency to select certain tires that makes it tough to find other options for the Explorers, sheesh they did this on my 2006 as well when I was looking for an all terrain.

Gimme a break........your thinking/conclusion is simply irrational and makes no sense IMHO.......

Gimme a break........your thinking/conclusion is simply irrational and makes no sense IMHO.......

I agree. If you go with a cheaper model Ford, you will get tires that are extremely common. However, specialized vehicles like the Explorer Sport are designed with certain dimensions to be able to handle cornering, etc.

I couldn't for the life of me find Contipro Contacts 19 inches for my sister's Fusion but I heard they were pretty good wheels. I forget if they were mentioned in some show. I just know they grip the road very tightly.

When you go for a more expensive trim, you're going to end up with issues like this. Don't buy a Mercedes because you would be so pissed when you find out a single shock absorber costs $1,000

"...yes, let's get Rubberhead once and for all muahahahahaha..." ~Ford

Ford isn't going to change tires because they aren't available for repurchase.
It's ridiculous you think this is an issue.

No kidding, another ridiculous thread about an issue that isn't related to Ford rather the manufacturer of the tires.. but yes, it is Ford's fault.

:hammer:

That's funny, I just went on tirerack and there are 23 different tires for the Explorer 20" rim size. Hmm.. not many options to choose from.

Goodyear, Bridgestone, Michelin, Pirelli, Yokohama, Hankook, Continental, Firestone and Khumo.. Yes, severely limited options.

So I just got my 2016 Sport last week. Found a nail in the tire sidewall this morning. Went to Discount Tire to buy a new one, not available. Called TireRack, backordered until December, called Ford dealer, and they searched across the country and pretty much every tire they found they could not get as they were being held for another customer already.
I had a similar thing happen on my 2011 Explorer. I can not believe Ford uses tires that a customer can not replace.

WTF am I supposed to do now? Buy a new set of tires for a $50k vehicle with less that 250 miles on it?

Un-freaken believable.

Tirerack's website is showing them in stock and ready for shipment.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tirerack's website is showing them in stock and ready for shipment.

I thought the same thing, but depends on which Hankooks he has. According to TireRack, 2 different tires are listed as OE for 2016 Sport.

Optimo H426 is in stock.

Ventus S1 Noble 2 will be available 11/30/15.

Back