OEM Hankook Tires, Like or Dislike | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OEM Hankook Tires, Like or Dislike

Nope. 255/50-20 is not available until 11/30.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought the same thing, but depends on which Hankooks he has. According to TireRack, 2 different tires are listed as OE for 2016 Sport.

Optimo H426 is in stock.

Ventus S1 Noble 2 will be available 11/30/15.

Good info.. never heard of the Ventus tire.. are they put on them? I thought they were all 426s..

Yes mine are the venture. They won't be on much longer.

kuee, sorry I forgot you have a Sport. So forget about my previous post recommending the Michelin LTXMS2. Forgive me I'm old. Good luck solving your problem.

kuee, sorry I forgot you have a Sport. So forget about my previous post recommending the Michelin LTXMS2. Forgive me I'm old. Good luck solving your problem.

What's wrong with the Michelin on a sport?

WTF am I supposed to do now? Buy a new set of tires for a $50k vehicle with less that 250 miles on it?

Un-freaken believable.

Actually yes. I'm sure you could get a premium for the other 3 right now. :D

Good info.. never heard of the Ventus tire.. are they put on them? I thought they were all 426s..
Early pictures of the Platinum showed them with the Ventus S1 Noble2 tires.

Peter

So I just got my 2016 Sport last week. Found a nail in the tire sidewall this morning. Went to Discount Tire to buy a new one, not available. Called TireRack, backordered until December, called Ford dealer, and they searched across the country and pretty much every tire they found they could not get as they were being held for another customer already.
I had a similar thing happen on my 2011 Explorer. I can not believe Ford uses tires that a customer can not replace.

WTF am I supposed to do now? Buy a new set of tires for a $50k vehicle with less that 250 miles on it?

Un-freaken believable.
1010tires.com (CDN site) has the 255/50R20 in stock. You don't say which size you are looking for.
It would also be a good idea to add the 2016 Sport to either your profile or your 'signature' so we know that you have both the 2011 and 2016.:thumbsup:

Peter

What's wrong with the Michelin on a sport?

Michelins would be fine on a Sport. But not the ones I had previously recommended (LTXMS2) they are a light truck tire. I would think if you had a sport you would want a more performance Michelin tire. I've had Michelins on other SUVs and and an RV and loved them. I'm glad my new 15 Explorer came with Michelins.

Gimme a break........your thinking/conclusion is simply irrational and makes no sense IMHO.......

Only because you haven't had to buy tires for a '07 Eddie Bauer and a 20" 2014.

I am encouraged that Michelin just added a Premier XLT in 255/50/R20. I hope these tires are comparable to the M/S LTXs.

Only because you haven't had to buy tires for a '07 Eddie Bauer and a 20" 2014.

I was referring specifically to your comments about Ford and your "theory" regarding their "motives", not about the availability (or lack thereof) of the tires themselves.

I was referring specifically to your comments about Ford and your "theory" regarding their "motives", not about the availability (or lack thereof) of the tires themselves.

I won't beat around the bush - I think their motives involve deals with tire manufacturers to spec tires with limited selections to funnel the maximum number of buyers to a smaller subset of manufacturers. Otherwise the somewhat odd rim/tire sizes on upper end Ford vehicles doesn't make much sense.

not sure if you have pepboys around you but I was shocked that they had the tire in stock for my sport when I blew out my sidewall. Still dont know how considering I didnt hit anything but regardless pepboys had the hankook tires in stock for my sport...

not sure if you have pepboys around you but I was shocked that they had the tire in stock for my sport when I blew out my sidewall. Still dont know how considering I didnt hit anything but regardless pepboys had the hankook tires in stock for my sport...

Tried them, they did not even have that tire in their system.

the non-sport 20" tire is the ventus nobles - I sort of hate them

too noisy.

So what's the tire size on your explorer - I see 2 options on the 20 inch wheels. curious as to which one is actual right. I'm going on a limb and assuming it's the 265 since my xlt has the 245.

where do you happen to live - and no you don't need to answer that - just illustrating that you might be miles away from a known distribution point.

I'm looking in Memphis and I can find a selection of tires for the sport - in either size however the only ones I can put my hands on TODAY for the 265 is some pirelli's somethings that are around 240ish installed per wheel.

OH and not knowing your deductible - I'd check with your insurnace company

too noisy.

So what's the tire size on your explorer - I see 2 options on the 20 inch wheels. curious as to which one is actual right. I'm going on a limb and assuming it's the 265 since my xlt has the 245.

where do you happen to live - and no you don't need to answer that - just illustrating that you might be miles away from a known distribution point.

I'm looking in Memphis and I can find a selection of tires for the sport - in either size however the only ones I can put my hands on TODAY for the 265 is some pirelli's somethings that are around 240ish installed per wheel.

The standard size tire on the Limited and Sport is the 255/50R20. I believe the 265 is an optional Summer tire on the Sport.
I assume you have the Sport. It would be useful if you updated your profile to indicate that.

Peter

too noisy.

I live in DFW area. The tire size is a 255/50R20.

The dealer did a search for that tire across the country and found three of them, however when they tried to order that tire, all three were already spoken for.

Its all good, I swapped them out for the Michelins.

No way I am going to turn them in on my insurance. All insurance companies do is look for an excuse to jack up your rates for using the service that I pay for every year.

If I were you I would go drive in a construction site and hope that the other 3 get nails too. The Hankook H426 tires on my Explorer are the worst tires I have ever had in a car. They are loud, hydroplane horribly and have no grip. Its almost as if they're made out of wood and not rubber. With over 80000km the stupid things still have 60% tread left! They drive me crazy! You can just imagine how bad they are that I get excited to put my Firestone T rated aggressive winter tires on in December because they're so much quieter and grip better than these things even in dry pavement!

If I were you I would go drive in a construction site and hope that the other 3 get nails too. The Hankook H426 tires on my Explorer are the worst tires I have ever had in a car. They are loud, hydroplane horribly and have no grip. Its almost as if they're made out of wood and not rubber. With over 80000km the stupid things still have 60% tread left! They drive me crazy! You can just imagine how bad they are that I get excited to put my Firestone T rated aggressive winter tires on in December because they're so much quieter and grip better than these things even in dry pavement!
It seems that how members feel about these tires is 'all over the map'. I replaced them with the Yokohama Spec-X the same day I picked up my 2011 Ltd from the dealer because of the brands poor Winter ratings and it was early March. When I swapped the Ltd for the current MKT it came with the same Hankook brand and I decided to leave them on. I have experienced none of the issues that you have described. They are quiet, have good grip and have had no issues in wet weather. I do also use dedicated Winter tires from November to end of March.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The nail is in the sidewall. I have a feeling some a$$ hat in my neighborhood is ruining peoples tires but that is a different problem.

Yes I can buy some other tire and put on there, but I just can't believe Ford again puts out a vehicle with tires that are near impossible to find. This is twice for me now.

Buy two, use the "other" Hankook as a full sized spare, but check to see if a full sized tire will fit in the wheel well.

Back