Off-road style wheels in 2011+ Models | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Off-road style wheels in 2011+ Models

So - I'm in the process of looking for another set of wheels for my 2015 Ex Sport so when I go camping/backpacking/etc and have to take fire roads/etc to get to trail heads I can get a little more tire than what is currently on my 20" stock rims. Unfortunately, I'm having a bear of a time doing this. My initial plan was to go with the 18" PIU steel wheels, but at over $200 a piece in the US (and no easy way to get over the border to Canada to pick them up at the $100/ea price) it just doesn't make sense.

I've been looking at all sorts of wheel options, but right now have been almost completely unable to find a steel wheel with a +44 (or similar) offset, finding most of them to be negative or neutral offsets. In alloy wheels, there are plenty of options that meet all the dimensional requirements, but nearly all of them are "racing" rims with small spokes that I just don't want. I'd prefer to have a more enclosed design (eg off-road design).

Has anyone had a similar thought and been successful? I'd be interested in hearing anybody's success stories.

18" / 5x114.3 / +44 offset is what I'm looking for since I don't think a 17" rim may clear the rotors.

Back