Oil Change interval | Page 29 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change interval

I was planning on changing the factory fill semi-synthetic that came in my 2017 Platinum Explorer (3.5 L twin turbo) to full synthetic after about 1,000 miles (1,600 km) and before my first big road trip. . . But it arrived later than I had hoped and have since only put about half that on. I have said trip (about 1,000 miles) schedule for later this week. I'll be doing probably 50 miles (80 km) a day while away then returning after about three weeks via same route. Should I bite the bullet and change the oil and filter now, before I go and where I can do it myself relatively cheaply, or should I wait and do it when I return and have closer to 4,000 miles?

After this initial replacement of factory oil with full synthetic I was planning on about a six month interval or so, doing the oil when I change over from all-season to winter tires. This should, in both time and distance, put me in line with the severe service schedule.

The idea behind such an early initial interval is to get rid of any metal from the engines initial break-in as well as to, as early as possibly, start realizing the benefits of a superior oil.

As I said, I have the oil (Pennzoil Platinum Ultra) and OEM filter already, both bought on sale, so the oil change would cost me about $25 and a half hour or hour of my time.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All sorts of anecdotal arguments for doing a short mileage oil change when a vehicle is new. However, its just as stated, anecdotal with no scientific or testing data to substantiate the reasons for doing so. The idea that there is so much debris inside a new engine that a filter would be plugged after in your case 4000 miles is IMO silly. I doubt there are any fleet cars that have a short oil interval when new. I would go the 4000 miles and not worry about it.

All sorts of anecdotal arguments for doing a short mileage oil change when a vehicle is new. However, its just as stated, anecdotal with no scientific or testing data to substantiate the reasons for doing so. The idea that there is so much debris inside a new engine that a filter would be plugged after in your case 4000 miles is IMO silly. I doubt there are any fleet cars that have a short oil interval when new. I would go the 4000 miles and not worry about it.
What about the benefit of getting the better (full synthetic) oil in the system that much sooner?

My guess is that your vehicle came from the factory with the Recommended regular Super Premium Motor oil and not the Semi Synthetic that those for the U.S. market have. The Semi Synthetic for Canadian models is an Optional oil.
While not denying the few extra benefits of Synthetic, regular oils have come a long way since Mobil 1 was hyped many years ago. For the record, I use the regular Super Premium. Used it in the 2014 MKT Ecoboost and in the current Platinum. I change the oil every 6 months which is about 2000 miles (IOLM reading of around 54%).
I think a semi synthetic would be fine in your case especially if you are also changing it every 6 months.
Hope you are enjoying the Platinum as much as I am. Happy New Year.

Peter

What about the benefit of getting the better (full synthetic) oil in the system that much sooner?

What makes you say the full synthetic is better? Do you have any testing to prove such?

The reason I say that is because many have had oil analysis done on their vehicles and the following the the vehicle's oil change monitor, shows there is plenty of protection left even at 10,000 miles on the change.

If the Ford semi-synthetic blend is still good at 10k changes and you are going to change sooner, why spend the money on full synthetic?

This debate has gone on and on over the years on here and nobody will ever win.

Here are the facts:

1) without oil analysis, you have no clue what your oil is doing.

2) oil analysis shows the Ford oil change system is on the conservative side in that it tells you to change it while the oil is still good.

3) see #2 so why change sooner or buy "better oil?

Sure you can say "cheap insurance" or "peace of mind".. but again, all opinions and no facts.

Do what is comfortable for you.

I get a deal on Amsoil (shop loves cops) so all my family cars have run Amsoil full synthetic for years. I am thinking about a full oil change on my recently acquired Exp XLT and maybe going with the Amsoil filter but from what I read here the Motorcraft filter is as good / better and cheaper.

My Ex has 78k miles on it. Is it too late to convert to synthetic?

Since this is a newly purchased used car with moderately high mileage on it should I go ahead and replace tranny fluid, etc.? It's under the Ford extended warranty but this will be my daily driver and for family outings.

I get a deal on Amsoil (shop loves cops) so all my family cars have run Amsoil full synthetic for years. I am thinking about a full oil change on my recently acquired Exp XLT and maybe going with the Amsoil filter but from what I read here the Motorcraft filter is as good / better and cheaper.

Since this is a newly purchased used car with moderately high mileage on it should I go ahead and replace tranny fluid, etc.? It's under the Ford extended warranty but this will be my daily driver and for family outings.

You most certainly can switch to synthetic at the current mileage.
It's silly that anyone would think conventional oil is the same as synthetic, considering the difference is that the latter has additives added into the oil.

The Amsoil filter is as I remember superior in that it filters down to 10 microns. Typical filters only filter to 20 microns, if it makes a difference. Keeping synthetic oil clean is paramount as the dirt will allow more blow by at the cylinder rings. Go to the Amsoil web site to verify this.

So I changed my oil over the weekend (with 5% oil life left). I put 6 quarts back in (per the capacity noted in the manual) and found that my oil level seemed low on the dipstick. I checked it with the engine cold and with the engine hot after driving it around the block and again the following day and it still looked low. I also found no leaks. Anyone else ever find this when they changed their oil and should I add approx. another 1/2 quart to get it to the proper level on the dipstick or will this cause any damage?

So I changed my oil over the weekend (with 5% oil life left). I put 6 quarts back in (per the capacity noted in the manual) and found that my oil level seemed low on the dipstick. I checked it with the engine cold and with the engine hot after driving it around the block and again the following day and it still looked low. I also found no leaks. Anyone else ever find this when they changed their oil and should I add approx. another 1/2 quart to get it to the proper level on the dipstick or will this cause any damage?
I believe this was discussed in this thread before and found to be normal. I'm guessing you also changed the filter?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/oil-change-interval.309598/page-5#post-2902766

Peter

Thanks Peter. Yeah, changed the filter as well.

wow...congrats guy's you made this thread to 23 pages with 95% of pointless info..some of you have way too much time on your hands.

...... you made this thread to 23 pages with 95% of pointless info...
And you just added to it.:) Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Here's an interesting aside. I drive a 2012 Nissan Murano with a 3.5L V-6. Oil change recommendations, as per Nissan, 3750 miles in the type of driving I do.

Since Ford went to the IOLM, I have had 2 Explorers. A 2014 with the 3.5L NA engine, and now a 2016 with the 2.3 L Ecoboost.

Interestingly in both the Explorers, the IOLM tells me I can drive 10,000. Even with the Ecoboost. This seems implausible. I've been changing around 7,500 miles, and that scares the crap out of me on a turbo engine, but my IOLM still says I have 25% life left.

I drive the Murano exactly the same way, use the same oil, and Nissan says change every 3750 miles. Something isn't right with this picture.

Halwg, go to Blackstone Labs web site and request a free oil test kit. They will then send you a kit to take a sample of you oil on your next oil change. Then just send it in and see what they have to say about our oil change interval.

I have been using them for quite a while testing my Ford 7.3 diesel engine and they say that I can go to 7,000 miles on my dino oil. If I was running a synthetic I could go quite a bit longer but I change my oil in my truck every 5,000 or once a year which ever comes first.

Here's an interesting aside. I drive a 2012 Nissan Murano with a 3.5L V-6. Oil change recommendations, as per Nissan, 3750 miles in the type of driving I do.

Since Ford went to the IOLM, I have had 2 Explorers. A 2014 with the 3.5L NA engine, and now a 2016 with the 2.3 L Ecoboost.

Interestingly in both the Explorers, the IOLM tells me I can drive 10,000. Even with the Ecoboost. This seems implausible. I've been changing around 7,500 miles, and that scares the crap out of me on a turbo engine, but my IOLM still says I have 25% life left.

I drive the Murano exactly the same way, use the same oil, and Nissan says change every 3750 miles. Something isn't right with this picture.

Ford is not the only one. Audi since late 90s has had 10,000 mile oil changes.. BMW has 15,000 mile oil changes.. maybe Nissan doesnt realize oil has changed from 20 years ago as well quality and efficiency.

My F350 or me 7,300 miles on the first and 2nd, 6,200 on the 3rd and I believe I was at 7,200 on my 4th. I will have to check my records.

My Blackstone reports show I can do about 8,500 miles but I won't go beyond the IOLM as this could create a voided warranty situation .

I have 109,000 miles on my Ex now always following the IOLM and not a single engine issue.

Times have changed.

Ford is not the only one. Audi since late 90s has had 10,000 mile oil changes.. BMW has 15,000 mile oil changes..

Not all engines in Audi's and BMW's have a greater oil capacity than the Explorer, but most of them do, hence part of the reason for their extended mileage oil changes.

wow...congrats guy's you made this thread to 23 pages with 95% of pointless info..some of you have way too much time on your hands.

We all are now enlightened with your multi point contribution. So little time so much to offer.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no evidence that changing your oil in sorter intervals is beneficial. Additionally, there is no evidence that synthetic oil as opposed to a regular oil with the latest SN rating will result in longer engine life. Plenty of anecdotal statements by back yard mechanics but not scientific. .

Back