1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Oil Consumption,2006 Ranger

Discussion in 'Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum' started by AndyF, September 20, 2006.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. AndyF

AndyF Member

City, State:
      Ontario,Canada
      Year and Model:
      Ranger 2006
      I use 5W20 regular in my 3 litre engine(automatic) as recommended in the manual.

I do my own lite maintenance and I changed the oil at 5000 kms. I've got 10000 kms on it now and it's down a litre. The Ford guy couldn't explain the oil consumption but was persistant that I stay with this, I call, "sewing machine oil".

I think the truck is screaming for 30 weight, as I do a lot of highway, but I never overload and I'm easy on driving, and drive at 60 MPH. I never accelarate quickly, and I allow the tranny to shift without pulling to hard. Basically I baby the truck as I'm not a trader and need to get max life out of it.

Should I go up to 5W30, or maybe switch to synthetic? What happens to the warranty with the weight change?

Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. ExplorerDMB

ExplorerDMB Moderator/Technician Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Mechanicsville, Virginia
      Year and Model:
      2004 Acura TL
      Well...if you change to 5w30 and something happens to that motor, Ford will EASILY void that warranty. My Explorer calls for 5w-30 - You should be able to use it just fine. Make sure it's nothing small like not tightening the drain plug tight enough or oil filter and it allows to leak slowly. Or maybe your drain plug is leaking because of a bad gasket on it - just look for leaks too.

-Drew

4. JohnnyO

JohnnyO Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Year and Model:
      '08 Sport Trac
      5w-30 will probably void the warranty, but I seriously doubt it will actually hurt anything. Because I'm one of those nutty people who sends their old oil to a lab for testing, I can tell you that 5w-20 after 5000 miles in my wife's 3.0 Taurus came back perfectly fine and the wear metals were all very low. In fact the results were pretty much identical with Mobil 1 and the Motorcraft blend that costs half as much.
      If it would make you feel better, drop $20 per at Blackstone for UOA's on the 20 and 30 both and see what they tell you.
      www.blackstone-labs.com
      Anything else is just speculation.

5. gijoecam

gijoecam Village Idiot Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Trenton, MI
      Year and Model:
      98 ExSport, '00 F-150
      For the record, Ford has it in writing that anything less than 1 quart every 900 miles is just fine. (I'm not saying I agree with it, but that's the spec anyways).

Check it often and top it off as necessary.

-Joe

6. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Martinsburg WV
      Year and Model:
      84 BII "Li'l Samson"
      I bet you have a small leak somewhere. Put some newspaper under the truck when you park it for the night. Check next day.

7. hunterdan

hunterdan Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Fairless Hills, Pa
      Year and Model:
      2010 Chevy Silverado
      Stick with the 5W-20 if its what the motor calls for. Yes the oil is thinner, but it is what is required to get to where it needs to be. 5W-20 is thick enough to support the loads the engine is placing on it. All bearings that are under oil pressure ride on a film of oil, if that film is too thick, it will not flow where it should, if its too thin, the film will not be able to support the load. Theres a lot involved for the engineers to determine proper oil. While the 30 wt may work, your motor is still new and tolerances are still tight and I wouldn't chance it. Look at all the new imports, most of them are running the same oil and get well over 100,000 miles out of the motors with no problems. Stick with the recommended oil, its recommended for a reason.

Dan

8. AndyF

AndyF Member

City, State:
      Ontario,Canada
      Year and Model:
      Ranger 2006

Thanks everyone for the tips.!!!!

The wife's 05 Echo calls for 5W30 every 5000 miles(8000KMs), can't figure it. The big six would seem like a heavier worker than the 4 banger.

I agree with the tolerances and such, just doesn't seem right.

Andy