Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Oil leak on exhaust manifold bolt

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by 10pound, May 13, 2013.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 10pound

10pound New Member

City, State:
      San Diego CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2001 Explorer
      Hi everyone and thanks in advance for reading, I sincerely appreciate any insight you can offer into my problem.

My wife has a 2001 Explorer with the 4.0 v6. For the past few months, after driving it, one would smell that distinctive aroma of oil sizzling into vapor coming from the engine. Oil level never dropped and it wasn't that big of an issue at the time, so I didn't look that hard for a leak. Last night, I drove it to the 7-11 around the corner and when I returned, I noticed vapor/smoke coming from under the hood. This morning when I could actually see something, I hosed the motor down with degreaser and water, started it up and waited for the aroma and vapor to return. I didn't have to wait long. It appeared as though oil was dripping down onto the exhaust manifold on the driver's side. Closer inspection shows the oil emanating from the lower exhaust manifold bolt for cylinder 6 (the rearmost cylinder on driver's side). At first I thought that perhaps the PCV valve was leaking some oil down onto the bolt but I couldn't find anything other than dirt around the PCV valve. I cleaned it all off again, especially this exhaust manifold bolt, started it back up and got underneath the vehicle where I could watch this bolt. Sure enough, I watched it go from clean to oily within minutes. I could actually see as the oil began to well up to a point where it would then drip down onto the manifold right where it connects to the catalytic converter.
      Here is an image showing the bolt/threads with a drop of oil welled up on the end of it:
      [​IMG]

Anyone have an idea of what I am facing here? I run synthetic 5w-30 through it and change it regularly. Any insight, assistance or opinions are much appreciated.

10Pound

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. lobo411

lobo411 Active Member

1996 Explorer 4.0 OHV
      How about the valve cover gaskets? I just installed new ones on my 96 4.0 tonight...sadly, mine were actually in like new condition after 7 years, and it wasn't till I had the car torn to pieces that I figured out it was the PCV valve leaking the whole time. :mad:

4. nitrodude

nitrodude Active Member

97 ford explorer
      I've got the same leak on my 97.
      Hopefully one of us finds the culprit!

5. nitrodude

nitrodude Active Member

97 ford explorer
      Any luck finding the leak 10pound?