1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Oil Leak?

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by sakirfp, November 11, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. sakirfp

sakirfp Active Member

City, State:
      Forsyth GA
      Year and Model:
      2005 XLT/2004 ST XLT
      My wife's '05 Explorer V8 with 202K has oil leak. I think it is coming from the oil pan gasket. I am going to be changing it in the morning. I am just wondering if there will be any surprises I need to to worry about when taking the pan off and changing the gasket. Any tips or tricks will be fine.

Also could there be anyother place that oil might be leaking from from the underside of the engine

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. sakirfp

sakirfp Active Member

City, State:
      Forsyth GA
      Year and Model:
      2005 XLT/2004 ST XLT
      Oil Filter

I think I found the source of my oil leak. Any suggestions?

I noticed that the lower coolant hose is on the back side of this housing. Is this all one piece
      [​IMG]

4. sakirfp

sakirfp Active Member

City, State:
      Forsyth GA
      Year and Model:
      2005 XLT/2004 ST XLT
      I changed the oil filter adapter housing gasket. If that is what is called. i also changed the oil pan gasket. Kind of a time consuming job. But maybe that is because this was the first time I had done it on this explorer..either way no more oil leaks..

5. HiImBrian

HiImBrian Well-Known Member

City, State:
      St. Petersburg, Florida
      Year and Model:
      2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
      Yeah, that's a fun one. Did mine a couple months ago...