Oil Leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Leak

LCAustin

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Basic
2012 Explorer, base trim, 3.5L V6
After some unusually cold weather last night (mid-20s F) I drove my daughter to school this morning (about 2 miles round trip). On my return I noticed an oil trail ending in a mid-size puddle (12" diameter). I moved the vehicle to verify, and in the few minutes it was running noted another puddle forming. The leak seems to be coming from the area in this picture. What is this component?
BdgJ3drAwAu

Instagram post by Lee Cavett • Jan 3, 2018 at 9:28pm UTC
BdgJ3drAwAu

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2012 Explorer, base trim, 3.5L V6
After some unusually cold weather last night (mid-20s F) I drove my daughter to school this morning (about 2 miles round trip). On my return I noticed an oil trail ending in a mid-size puddle (12" diameter). I moved the vehicle to verify, and in the few minutes it was running noted another puddle forming. The leak seems to be coming from the area in this picture. What is this component?
BdgJ3drAwAu

Instagram post by Lee Cavett • Jan 3, 2018 at 9:28pm UTC
BdgJ3drAwAu
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Is that picture looking to the front or back. I've never checked mine from underneath. Might help someone who has. Thanks.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Is that picture looking to the front or back. I've never checked mine from underneath. Might help someone who has. Thanks.

Peter
It's looking toward the back, from about two feet behind the front bumper. The visible wheel is the driver's side rear, and the pipe at the left of the picture is the exhaust. Oil drips quickly when the engine is on from the black area, and there seems to be a bit of gasket hanging loose.

Thanks for the reply. I see that "gasket hanging loose" and initially thought it may have been accumulated oil/sludge. Unfortunately, like you, I also don't know what component that is a picture of. If it is leaking badly, it may be a good idea to have a mechanic look at it if no one else here can help.

Peter

It's looking toward the back, from about two feet behind the front bumper. The visible wheel is the driver's side rear, and the pipe at the left of the picture is the exhaust. Oil drips quickly when the engine is on from the black area, and there seems to be a bit of gasket hanging loose.
Any update on this? Have you had it looked at?

Peter

Back