Okay, let's talk motors! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Okay, let's talk motors!

sbrawner

Reaction score
Have a 95 explorer with 105k on it. Just changed plugs to splitfires, new wires, K&N breather, drilled the holes in the box, among lots of other things.

The power is up now (feels like about another ten horses with the AC on), but there are a few weird things going on, maybe someone can help me with.

When I am mildly accelerating, in park with the gas slightly pressed, or going a constant speed anywhere between 25-45 or so, the engine seems to do this surging thing. If I am in park and I push the gas down a littl bit, the engine will go to RPM and then waver, almost like a metronome. it will surge for a second, then come back down for a second and then surge again. The timing of the surges are very regular, right about one second. Does anyone have any ideas? I haven't put it on a code reader yet.

Also, I think the alternator or the water pump is making a whining noise, it's very unharmonic and seems loudest when I first start up. Ideas?

Now for my contribution:
There was an EXTREMELY annoying pinging noise coming from the engine, I tried everything, resetting the computer, torquing the manifold bolts, regular gas. I was at my wit's end until I saw a post about the cat shield coming loose. So I looked up in there and viola! Not the cat shield, but the heat shield that wraps the manifold pipes from the manifolds to right before the cat had broken their (cheap, crappy) welds and were dinging around, making a racket.. A couple of stainless steel hose clamps (one 3" and one 4" should do it) solved that problem. Make sure to cut off any of the extra strip when you've cranked em down, or you'll be right back where you started with the noise.

The funny (well maybe not funny) thing is that those loose shields sounded EXACTLY like a bad lifter.

Any input on my problems would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks
Scott Brawner

Have you tried cleaning the sensor in the MAF? That helped my surge problem. There is an article about it somewhere on the site, don't remember where off hand, though.

------------------
Danny
93SHO
91EB
www.hit.net/~danny/explorer.html

Your surging symtoms can also be caused by a fuel pressure regulator going south on you.

On quick check (other than hooking-up a pressure gauge at the fuel rail which of course is best) is to identify the vacuum connection to the regulator at the back of the driver's side intake manifold and checking to see if there is gasoline in the line. If you can see/smell gasoline then you will need a new fuel pressure regulator.

Ah, yes I did clean the MAF sensor with a nice little squirt of throttle body cleaner. Forgot to mention that.

What are the symptoms of bad O2 sensors?

Also when the truck is cold the exhaust is real stinky, I'm guessing that is from the rich mixture (in lieu of a choke).

Scott

Back