Old age?

1998Exp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Seattle WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited V8 AWD
Almost done changing engine oil. While waiting for the fresh oil to drain completely into the pan, and still having the filler cap off, decided to check the coolant concentration. It was just fine. And where, ladies and gents, did I pour the contents of the coolant tester (about 1oz)? You guessed it -- right into the oil filler neck. Anyone has a better idea than dumping the 5 quarts of fresh Mobil-1 expensive synthetic? And what's the proper punishment anyway?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If all you did was dump 1 ounce of coolant into there, I think that will boil off soon enough. At worst you might have a little coolant residue in the oil, only detectable by oil analysis. I think you're safe running that oil.

Proper punishment would be like I say to my dog. Bad 1998Exp! Bad!

Post about it on here so we can make fun of you. ... Oh well, you did that, then I don't know.

I'd drain the oil and go back to Walmart for the cheapest synthetic they have, about $25 for Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil 1, or Pennzoil. I've found mine from Amazon sometimes for just under that, saving a trip to the store.

You might try draining the fresh oil into a really clean pan. If your really lucky the coolant will remain separated from the oil and you might be able to suck it up and poor the oil back into the engine, but I'd consider it a $25 lesson and throw it away. Why in the world would you put coolant it into the oil filler tube? Defies reason.

You might try draining the fresh oil into a really clean pan. If your really lucky the coolant will remain separated from the oil and you might be able to suck it up and poor the oil back into the engine, but I'd consider it a $25 lesson and throw it away. Why in the world would you put coolant it into the oil filler tube? Defies reason.
Why? That's why I titled my post "Old Age!" Held the coolant tester in my hand, but oil was on my mind. And, of course, the oil filler neck is just next to the coolant overflow tank, and both were open.
Thank you all for your wisdom.

Koda is right about possibly saving the oil, but only if the engine hasn't been run and it's drained into a large open clean pan. Just poured in I don't think the coolant will really mix, if you can locate the coolant then you may be able to save most of the oil. Being $25 it may or may not be worth the effort. If you have a large coolant drain pan, you might give it a shot and see how it comes out.

Drained into a clear container. Waited a few hours, but can't see any separation. It's either too little to even show, or still hiding in some nooks and not draining (I poured this little bit after refilling). Just returned from Walmart, with 5 qts of Mobil 1 + 1 qt of some cheapo, to flush the pan before I put the good stuff.
Incidentally, Walmart is now selling some new "Super-duper" synthetic Mobil 1, claimed to be good for 1 year or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first. And the price? It's a bargain at only $50 per 5 qt jug. I passed, but who are they fooling?

Drained into a clear container. Waited a few hours, but can't see any separation. It's either too little to even show, or still hiding in some nooks and not draining (I poured this little bit after refilling). Just returned from Walmart, with 5 qts of Mobil 1 + 1 qt of some cheapo, to flush the pan before I put the good stuff.
Incidentally, Walmart is now selling some new "Super-duper" synthetic Mobil 1, claimed to be good for 1 year or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first. And the price? It's a bargain at only $50 per 5 qt jug. I passed, but who are they fooling?

I saw the $50 jug of the new Mobil 1 Super Duty when I bought oil last week. I passed on it too. IDK what makes it better then the Extended Performance Mob 1, but the EP is good enough for me at 1/2 the price and good for 15,000 miles. I just make sure to use a filter good for 15k too.

Thanks again to all who offered advice on this exciting subject... Here is the end of the story: the ounce of coolant was finally flushed out with the quart of cheap oil that I poured in after draining the 5 qts of Mobil 1 from the pan. The fluid in the jar containing that quart clearly separated, with the bottom being light green. Still, not confident to put that recovered Mobil 1 in any of my vehicles, so guess this means that the mower, chipper, and other gardening tools will enjoy synthetic oil for the first time in their existence. Or is 5W30 too thin for them?

That's a bit thin, unless you're in winter, I run 10W30 here in South Carolina in those items and occasionally have one that burns a bit, I resell some this time of year so I experimented with what would work for easy pulling without a smoke show.

Back