Discussion in 'Solid Axle Swap Registry' started by rjcooperss396, March 30, 2009.
Well that suck's none of the pictures show up for me...
Join the Elite Explorers for $20
Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose
fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own.
Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery,
create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
Log in or Sign up to hide adverts.
How about today? They are all on my photobucket and I heard they went down yesterday.
pics show up for me and they are !! I wanted a "wow" emoji, that one says eek...what I'm trying to say is the rack, rear bumper, and fab work are sick!!
Did your Exploder not have a rack and pinion steering system? I have a rack and pinion on my 99 Mountaineer and looking to SAS, but I need to know how to make the steering work.
Yes, mine had rack and pinion. I used a steering box from a first gen Explorer when I did mine but I don't like the ratio. I heard the F150 is better but a friend gave me the Explorer one for free so that's what I used. My steering wheel take four turns lock to lock.
The Pictures of Steering Box are still not showing up. I am now seriously thinking of doing the same SAS as you did here. Love the look of your Explorer.
Sorry about the pictures. They are on my Photobucket account so no one can see them anymore. I'll see if I can find the originals and then upload them somewhere else.
Just wondering if you figured out the pictures.
If youre using firefox and a few extensions they will show up, at least about 80% of them.
yeah that is what I am using but see none of them. :-( All is good. Will keep looking to see Leaf SAS for the explorer. Is yours a V8?
Sorry, I don't have the originals and when I try to download them from Photobucket they are screwed up. I can take some pictures of the box though and try to post them here. Let me know if that would help.
That would be awesome sir.
I downloaded the Firefox extension that allows me to see the images so I took a screen shot of the pictures, saved them and uploaded to another site so I could post them again. The first few pictures are how it was mounted when I had the V6. I didn't do the original mounting, I paid a shop to do it because I couldn't weld. The others are of me moving it into the frame more to clear the V8 when I swapped it in. I can weld now so I did that work.
Looking good sir.
- OMG! Photos! How nice to see a thread with real photos and not the photobucket error message.
Great looking work.
Could you please post detailed photos of your SAS installed? Frame, Links, axles, etc? I will be doing my 97'. Photos are always great to look at for ideas. Were there any measurements that you had to consider (angles and such) when setting up the front end?
Thanks in advance!
I'll have to look to see if I can find the original pictures. I explained on the first page of this thread what I did. Since I used leaf springs for the conversion it was fairly simple. I built a front crossmember with square tubing and then used more square tubing for the front spring mounts. For the upper shackle mount I drilled a hole through the frame and welded in some DOM that had the correct inside diameter for the shackle bushing. I made the shackles the a little longer than a YJ shackle. In fact, all the measurements for the springs were based off a YJ since I used YJ springs with a bunch of extra leafs. When it came time to weld on the spring perches I towed the truck down to the shop my brother was working at and we put it on the alignment rack and set the castor to the Explorer specs and then welded them on.
I added a couple of 4in. LED lights to the rear of my roof rack for backing up. They aren't super bright like the front ones but they're way better than just the reverse lights. You can actually see what's around you when backing up at night offroading. I made a couple tabs that I welded onto the rack and then drilled a hole in the lower tube to run the wiring.