One Way to Save a First Gen: A4LD to 5R55E Swap (Completed) | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

One Way to Save a First Gen: A4LD to 5R55E Swap (Completed)

this was an awesome read so hot that it works

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, so the day came when all was that was left was installing the transmission. So I drive Blue in one last time with the ORIGINAL A4LD that he came with from the factory, and we tore into him, showing him no mercy...
205171_736181270111_390207_n.jpg

And of course Kris G. was more than happy to be there for this
215694_736181873901_3212375_n.jpg

Anyway, back on track. Removing the A4LD was pretty straight forward. Remove the driveshafts, transfer case, crossmember, unbolt everything, remove y-pipe (See below), and drop tranny. Here I am doing something unproductive most likely
216447_736182477691_825792_n.jpg

And then finally it was time for the tranny to leave Blue Bandit forever

Once the tranny was out, we gave it the Demon Salute it deserved...
206856_736182702241_622899_n.jpg

So now it was back to the exhaust. See, Blue's exhaust headers had rusted to the point where it was impossible to unbolt. So, in true Russell fashion, I just cut it out. Well, the problem with that is I needed to reinstall the y-pipe. So I bust out the grinder and welder...
207802_736183395851_7148390_n.jpg

216040_736184089461_2159386_n.jpg

So after that was done, it was time to install the tranny. Well the 5R needed a couple of physical modifications. First, the gear selector needed to be flipped 180 degrees. Reason for this is because the A4LD selector linkage points down...the 5R points up. So you unbolt it, turn it down, and retighten. And thats done.
205029_736184813011_4139672_n.jpg

Next I needed to add the A4LD shifter cable bracket to hold the A4LD cable. That's right, you can keep the A4LD shifter cable with the 5R! Once the bracket was bolted into place, everything is ready to go!
207452_736185222191_7938015_n.jpg

Installation was pretty uneventful. The tranny went it, bolted into place, and then everything else. I even used the A4LD dipstick housing on the 5R. About 10 pm that night, we topped all fluids, started it up and cycled through the gears and wheels started turning! After that, we lowered it down, and took it for a spin around the neighbor, and to Kris and I's surprise, the tranny shifted!!! Granted I could only get it up to third gear in the neighborhood, but it was a success :D

The next day I insured Blue and took him on the road, and got it up to speed. And it is shifting fine! But, thats not to say Im without problems. Below is the list of things I need to fix:

OBD-I Codes 342 and 542
2-3 shift flare.

And I need to run all the wiring back into the truck. But alas, thats where Im at right now.

Oh and Blue back on the road for proof :cool:
207287_736494851691_7490924_n.jpg

Discuss :D

Hair brained Ideas at its best.

Your new signature/Truck "Brag" list should read,

1992 Eddie Bauer 4.0 OHV+FIVER (+5R) 4WD - ""Blue Bandit""
1997 Limited 4.0 SOHC 4WD - "Shade Bandit"
1997 XLT 5.0 AWD - "Indigo Bandit"
1997 Mountainer 5.0 AWD / 1959 Ford F100 - "Sloopy Bandit" Build Diary
The Fun Hump Day Radio Show! Forum, Site, Facebook, and now on iTunes!

Man I can hardly wait for the Harness list.

what do you think the deal with the codes is?

And wasn't the orig title of this thread about destroying a first gen?

I said it already but can't help but say it again....

Awesome!

You going to replace the VB with a rebuilt or do your own repairs? (EPC separator gasket etc)

that's one BA 1st gen. Congrats! You should do a zero to 60 video so people can compare yours to theirs

what do you think the deal with the codes is?

And wasn't the orig title of this thread about destroying a first gen?

The OBD-1 codes are being thrown *I Believe* because of the wiring harness. Those two circuits are both tied into the OBD-2 harness, thus could be screwing with the OBD-1 harness. Ill have to 'disable' those two curcuits on the OBD-2 side and see if that makes the codes go away (Not to mention that on top of diagnosing normal faults in the OBD-1 system, I now have to factor in my harness too...I dont think Ford made a flow-chart for that :rolleyes: )

And yes, originally this thread was titled about destroying a first gen...that was before I proved that this swap could work :cool:

I said it already but can't help but say it again....

Awesome!

You going to replace the VB with a rebuilt or do your own repairs? (EPC separator gasket etc)

Ill probably end up rebuilding the valve body with a transgo set to keep from buying the ford TSB fix. Need to read Glacier's VB rebuild thread again in more detail

that's one BA 1st gen. Congrats! You should do a zero to 60 video so people can compare yours to theirs

Thanks Bud! I think 0-60 times would be the same considering first gear and top gear are identical ratio's between the A4LD and the 5R55E...the real difference in running the 5R will be possibly in city driving with the overdriven 1ST gear (in 5r speak, 2nd gear). In my initial road test of Blue, I rehooked up my message center, and even though I was goosing Blue with acceleration AND with the 2-3 flare, the MC said I was averaging 16.9 in city driving, about 15 miles, in about 30 minutes...not to shabby. So if all the stars line up and engine performance is within spec, ect, I could *possibly* see an MPG gain with this swap in city driving COMPARED TO the A4LD. We shall see.

Man I can hardly wait for the Harness list.

As soon as I work out all the bugs and amend my wiring diagrams about what is needed to hook up and what is not, I will submit my final version so everyone can see. I don't want to put up something diagram wise if it means the problems I am still experiencing transpose to other's vehicle. I.E. the two codes I am getting.

I forgot to ask, with everything needed how much did this project cost you?

I forgot to ask, with everything needed how much did this project cost you?

Well, I'm out probably around 200 dollars in parts. Granted I got the tranny for free though. All the wiring I had from spare explorer harnesses, the computer cost me 50, the monitor adapter extention harness cost me 60, and the fluids ran me about 50, and the eec-v connector cost me 40. All stock ford parts though, so everything can be salvaged from a 97 in The junkyard.

You know, you could drop both computers, get a usb analog/digital module on a laptop, and run this whole enchilada off a laptop. Not for the price you pulled off, that's freeking amazing. I'll end up paying more in parts at my next tune-up.

You know, you could drop both computers, get a usb analog/digital module on a laptop, and run this whole enchilada off a laptop. Not for the price you pulled off, that's freeking amazing. I'll end up paying more in parts at my next tune-up.

Oh now see, you must think Blue is more deserving then he really is :D

So Some bad news... :mad:

The 2-3 flare is REALLY bad...like...REALLY.

And I do not think the TCC is locking up like it should...I have 5th gear because I can cancel overdive via the switch and the rpm's jump, and accelerating from stop seems really relaxed..

But, im sure the EPC and TCC both need replaced as they are both the most used (both are PWM) so it would make sense. Lets hope a transgo kit and two new solenoids fixes this :hammer:

On a good note, blue doesn't stumble and die when i punch the gas like the A4LD did. Funny though how Blue still has TCC issues...like he hates me...

so its been a week or so how does it work? is it still going good? i hav a 94 Limited that needs another (gone through 4 already) tranny i have been looking for te parts to do the C5/4 swap but this is very interesting to me as i am moving to Ft Carson Co in a few monthes and will be driving to michigan now and then and od would be great!

This conversion has the potential to save a bunch of pre-95 Explorers. If you can put together a kit of parts except the trans, and instructions with upgrade recommendations, it should sell.

The 5R55E is a much more reliable trans than the A4LD, in their given forms. It's similar to how much improved a 1998+ 4R70W is compared to the 1980-1988 AOD's.

Some kind of kit like that wouldn't be a huge money maker, due to the tedious labor of the wiring mods.

Quote;

On a good note, blue doesn't stumble and die when i punch the gas like the A4LD did. Funny though how Blue still has TCC issues...like he hates me...

Remember it has TWO brains so with any luck at all only one has a problem... Being a guy that has some computer knowledge<DANGEROUS> I'll toss this in, some computers request a resend if they receive a low-level signal but will then respond twice to the request!

Shorten your harness from the computers to the tranny as short as space permits as well as shielding the wiring from "spurious" external electro magnetic signals and see if that helps. You could just wrap the signal wiring with grounded aluminum foil to see if that helps. I have a 92' Eddie that will soon be a candidate for this type transplant.

HMMmmmm "97 transplant" has a ring to it.

Good work! Your idea payed off:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok guys, sorry for no update...for those that know me, my brain likes to concentrate on only that which is sparkling at the time ::eek:h shiny!!::

The truck is down right because of all things, exhaust. I need to rework the exhaust pipe so A) it's not so freaking load and B) i don;t die of carbon monoxide poisoning (which is bad). Only reason this is of concern is because I still have the tranny access cover off, and thats pretty much where exhaust likes to come up and bake me :rolleyes:

The TCC issue is I believe a wiring issue on my part because I never ran the Crank sensor wires to the EDIS module. I feel hooking these up (so the EEC-V knows the RPM's of the motor) will fix my TCC lockup.

The flair is just that, a flare. Annoying as hell, but will be fixed later. Just gotta finish some other Explorer invoices here at Bandit Garage lol

Back