Oops, Explorer swimming. | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oops, Explorer swimming.

Title speaks for itself. Only permantent damage so far is a dent in the driver side door and I think I shorted my tranny temp gauge. Power everything is working properly, tranny shifted weird coming to a stop all the way home, but should be fine. You can see in the pics the water line on the back of the hatch area. That line crossed my open window when I went through the deep part, I definitley got wet. There is a vid but I don't know how to post them. I'll email if people are interested.

Byrd
1303oopsii.jpg

1303oops.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by hydroxy
I have a question.. what on earth was the chainsaw noise in the background all about?!

Sounds like a bunch of hondas revving.

THat is a cool ass video, not many people can say that they almost rolled, hydrolocked, broke a tie rod and flooded their car all in 20 minutes, very impressive. You really have some balls to do that.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Just got this sent to me by one of the guys that was with me.

1303wet_interior.jpg

hahaha the stereo is on?? I bet that door speaker sounded great!!

Great video, but where's the weight bags on that winch line?????:nono:

Wasn't even a tough pull for the winch, normally we have something on the line but this time we didn't bother. Yeah, I didn't notice that the radio was on. Volume was down, but luckily the speaker wasn't under water.

That's awesome, way to go!

Non-hardcore-offroader question: "weight bags on the winch line"? Sounds like a safety thing. Can someone explain? I heard someone in the video wondering if they could toss a shirt on the cable, I assumed that was so it would show up in the video....

Yeah, its a safety thing. If the cable breaks the sandbag, or jacket, or whatever is on the cable will absorb some of the energy stored in the cable so it won't travel as far.

Originally posted by BensBud
Non-hardcore-offroader question: "weight bags on the winch line"? Sounds like a safety thing. Can someone explain? I heard someone in the video wondering if they could toss a shirt on the cable, I assumed that was so it would show up in the video....

Harry Lewellyn explains this the best:

"Tightly stretched things of any sort can be deadly … if they break or come loose! How about a few wakeup horror stories of unknown origin? There's the one about the strap with a metal hook that broke loose from its attach point. The hook came through the pickup's back window and killed the driver with a blow to the back of his head. Same story, but this time through the windshield, with a trailer ball, in the face! Different strap, spectator too close, strap cuts off legs. Another version except this time it's the onlooker's head! Think of everything you use to attach two vehicles together for towing or tugging as howitzer-size slingshots!"

Draping something like a shirt/towel over the line is supposed to lessen or eliminate the ability of the line to whip around after it breaks loose.

Always remember the danger zone:

Attachments

• danger_zone.jpg
    danger_zone.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 603

I'm surprised a shirt or towel has enough mass to be effective as a damper. I guess every little bit helps. ...or does a flapping towel / shirt have a significant parachute-type effect? I assume you would want to hang a couple / few on the line or cable to add to the chances that something goes with the cable in each direction if it breaks?

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread...

The point is to put something that will put downward force on the line but will not potentially become an additional hazard. I've never had a chance to see the effects of this, but I've seen it done and read about it as an accepted practice.

Getting back to topic, boy do you have some balls taking that bog on with AT tires and no lockers! Pretty amazing that you were still able to maneuver that much. Do you know of others who have successfully taken that line or were you just having a wild moment?

It is even better if the *****/towels whatever are soaking wet, that gives them a little added weight.

you know there are easier ways to re-fill your blinker fluid you know:D

j/k thats looks awesome, i would like to try **** like that that with my truck someday if only it weren't my daily driver.

Thanks for the shirt / towel info.

Back on topic - I was thinking about that long video on my way home last night... I think I'd not just be concerned about the fluids. The truck looks pretty stock, I'd bet you did a thorough job of rinsing out the wheel bearings. If they're not making any noise (yet), I'd be tempted to repack those puppies ASAP.

I'm curious on the wheel bearing thing... is there some way to keep that from happening when going through deep water? I wasn't aware that washing out the bearings was a big risk.

Ed

Originally posted by GaSouthern1
It is even better if the *****/towels whatever are soaking wet, that gives them a little added weight.

I have to agree, I'm a big fan of wet t-shirts. PS, watch your mouth ;)

Water will get in your hubs and wheel bearings anytime you cross water like this, or even in rain and snow, etc...

Your best bet is to make it routine maint to re-pack the front wheel bearings, replace the grease seals, re-lube the brake caliper slide pins, and clean the hubs about once a year. More often the larger your tires.

Also anytime I get back from a wheeling trip, like to Moab for a few days, or deep water forging, sand whatever, I will re-do the bearings....

This will ensure a long life for the bearing, the correct load on the spindle nuts (bearings torque) and its a good way to keep up on the condition of your brake parts and hubs....

Anytime your Ex gets in water THAT deep it is imparative that you check/change all the fluids both diffs, tranny, oil, and t case. re-lube is not a bad idea either....
You shouldnt be going into water that deep unless your truck is prepared for it. Extended breathers, waterproofed computer(s), and a custom air intake etc can make life much easier....

410 made some excellent points in the previous post and I hope everyone considers them before attempting anything even half as deep as what that stream turned out to be. I have extended breather tubes, knew that both my intake and computer would be safe as the drivers side was obviously deeper, and routinely check/repack fluids and wheel bearings. I don't want this to be a situation of a kid/ unknowing person taking their vehicle through a big puddle and not being prepared for the outcome.

I've not really seen this... and I even posted once asking... but it would be great if someone could do a comprehensive waterproofing thread.

One that would include everything you should do to protect an Explorer from water all in a single thread. If there is one and I haven't found it please direct me... otherwise I'll start one if we can get all you experts to post the goods :D

Ed

hey where did u get that brushguard? do they make em for 94's?

Back