Oops, Explorer swimming. | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oops, Explorer swimming.

Title speaks for itself. Only permantent damage so far is a dent in the driver side door and I think I shorted my tranny temp gauge. Power everything is working properly, tranny shifted weird coming to a stop all the way home, but should be fine. You can see in the pics the water line on the back of the hatch area. That line crossed my open window when I went through the deep part, I definitley got wet. There is a vid but I don't know how to post them. I'll email if people are interested.

Byrd
1303oopsii.jpg

1303oops.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was the one who insulted the moderator.Sorry, new here.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I agree, grow up.. Ever heard of self-control? Think before you type, theres always consequences.

Guys? as in plural? I told him to delete it and he did!

C',mon guys... this is a decent thread and I'd like to see it stay open.

Hey Byrd, what made you go with the 33x10.5? I have the 32x11.5 and although I miss the inch in hight the extra width seems to be pretty helpful. Do you think its just a wash between those sizes or did you just want to get all the hight possible?

Ed

Hey, nice mess you got yourself into (and out of)! That must have been right after we got a week of steady rain, huh? Good to hear there was minimal damage... Definitly a ballsy move in a X! I just gave up my X for something bigger, a 96 Bronco 351W. Now I'm just waiting for Santa to bring a lift and some 35's and I can get back out and play!

Webster, I done a test fit a while back with the 33x10.5s and they didn't look too bad, so I went with the extra height, plus they are good in the snow being narrower. I think it is 6 of one, half a dozen the other, 32s often look a little meaner because of the width.

wow

Byrd - I've got one thing to say to you...that was AWESOME!

I'm startin' to get the offroad bug (really badly) and I too was wondering if someone could do a waterproofing write up on what needs protected both before and after a trip (like this, but hopefully not as crazy)

Also, a lot of guys here are talking about the all terrain tires versus the muds --- does it make that big of a difference?

oh yeah btw, Byrd - YOU are my new role model, taking on something like that....awesome

Originally posted by Byrd91
Webster, I done a test fit a while back with the 33x10.5s and they didn't look too bad, so I went with the extra height, plus they are good in the snow being narrower. I think it is 6 of one, half a dozen the other, 32s often look a little meaner because of the width.

I just realized you are in Maine... I've heard narrow is better in the snow too... sounds like you made the right move. :)

Ed

I just now saw this video, it made it over to www.tremek.com I knew it has to be someone from this site.

Oh my god that 10 minute video was awesome!!!!!! I thought he was stuck when he went in and it looked like he sank, but no the water begins to turn as he gives it the gas. Even though I knew he got winched out I was watching the video and began to think that he was going to make it out. :D :D :D

Right the f**k on! absolutely the best video I have seen with an Explorer. Thas the way how to use it! I really enjoyed the video and hope that your truck is still fine.
That "little" dent at your driverside door gives your X character and shows that you use the 4X4 option...

So did any damage happen because of that run?

After reading some of the posts, I was thinking Byrd drove off a cliff or something. I didn't think it was that bad. I would have tried it after determining how deep the water was. Great video.

P.S. I run AT/KOs.

With a SAS, 35s, and a locker you could've made it easy. Might even have been drier than I was. Water came in the driverside window, into my lap.

Nitrous. No permanent damage other than I believe frying my Bulldog keyless entry computer, but it was crap anyway.

I was just wondering if you had made it with a locker.
It looked that you wasn´t that far away to make it.
If you get a locker, would you try that passage again?
Even that it´s easier the other way (curiousity)...:rolleyes:

I saw that video on tremek.com, quite interesting! Glad to hear things weren't too bad. Funny though because i just randomly came over here and as soon as I saw the title I knew it.

Sweet Video!! I almost though you were gonna make it through! But glad to hear ya go it out! Good entertainment!

Great vid, you do have big ones.:D

Back