Oops, I did it again... | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oops, I did it again...

My boss's nephew has had this poor, beat-up little '95 Sport for the longest time, just beating the crap out of it and trying to wheel with J**p friends who were obviously better set up for 4wheeling... two weeks ago it came in with a blown hub, bad upper and lower balljoints, bad tie rods, and some other issues. They saw $2600 worth of damage, I saw a candidate for an axle swap :D Since the little guy is only worth MAYBE $3,000 in current shape, the kid decided to junk it.

I couldn't pass it up :D In the next two weeks I'll be nabbing Snoborder's EB Dana44 and waggy leafs and making myself a mean little monster ;) I don't much like the 'green bean' look though, so as soon as I've got enough saved for a nifty Maaco paintjob, it's getting sprayed platinum grey with silver stripes! I plan on raiding Harry's and scoring some grey leather seats, fender flares and a manual t-case (maybe even make a doubler if I can squeeze in some more overtime).

What about Shelby you wonder...? Her fate is still undecided. She's still too nice to trash (I wouldn't do that to her anyway-Tank was a whole 'nother can of rust) and I haven't found myself crazy over the extra foot of wheelbase when trying to take sharp turns on the trail. No offense meant to you 4 door lovers, I just have a thing for 2 door second gens :D

1995 Sport 4.0 OHV
5 speed manual
P/w, p/l, no stereo yet
flattened out monoleafs
blown shocks
two bent up bumpers
screwed on passenger mirror
new Clutch
new idler pulley (after it suddenly just disappeared)
Looks an awful lot like Doug's first Explorer, that I carted to the crusher's after he wrecked it :eek:

Attachments

• 04-01-06_1644 (Small).jpg
    04-01-06_1644 (Small).jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 3,680

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyway back on topic... that photoshop frigtens me

Frightens YOU?? Whaddya think it does to me?! :p:

On that note, I can honestly say that no matter how much work you have to do to your rig, if you're sick, just wait until you feel better because that whole hand/eye coordination thing goes right out the window and you do stupid things like dropping your transmission on the floor and hitting yourself with lead pipes :rolleyes: Much better to just dayquil yourself until you feel well enough to turn wrenches!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

amen to that. i worked thursday and friday last week... its a wonder i didnt mess anything serious up.

although i have to ask, how the hell did ya drop your tranny on the floor?

amen to that. i worked thursday and friday last week... its a wonder i didnt mess anything serious up.

although i have to ask, how the hell did ya drop your tranny on the floor?

It wasn't balancing very well on the jack, so I figured it'd be safer on the floor. Being sick and in a hurry, I didn't try to re-adjust it when I picked it up, so the weight wasn't distributed right, resulting in it slipping out of my hands. Don't worry, my wrists slowed its descent so it only tapped the floor very lightly. Got some purty purple bruises, which is just as well because today's Purple Passion day at work and I forgot my Ravens shirt :p:

I got my trans crossmember back from Brittain welding today, and I must say, those guys do a helluva job for really cheap! They cut the corners and welded on slabs of 1/4" plate, then capped the ends. AND they painted it! 'Tis good to be a girl sometimes ;) I showed Ed, the owner, some pictures of Morgan's build up and he was quite impressed with the work, especially Wolf's tig job on the radiator. He said, "If any o' yer fellas wanna job weldin' you tell 'em they got a place here!" lol :thumbsup:

DSCN1349_Small_.JPG

DSCN1350_Small_.JPG

that right there is some nice stuff

Lookin kinda beefy over there. Thats the design i wanted to go with but rookie wouldn't let me

I have no memory of that :p:
yeah it is a much better design

It's a good thing I decided to replace the entire clutch instead of just the aftermarket slave cylinder... found these little pilot bearing beauties floating around in there :eek:
DSCN1352_Small_.JPG

DSCN1354_Small_.JPG

Mmm, shineeeee :)
DSCN1355_Small_.JPG

Ahh, much better!!!
DSCN1358_Small_.JPG

No more rubbing on the transmission! Can't wait to see if the annoying vibration under load is gone :)
DSCN1363_Small_.JPG

Damn POS cheap@$$ slave cylinder, messing up my wheeling!!
DSCN1364_Small_.JPG

And for all you fellow Snap-on ******, lookie what I finally caved in and bought :cool:
DSCN1367_Small_.JPG

I didn't have time (what a surprise) to get Morgan all the way back together, but I expect to have him driveable tomorrow after some clutch bleeding. In case anyone was wondering, the reason I couldn't get my t-case on is one of the oldest mistakes in the book.................. there was a gasket on it AND on the transmission :rolleyes:

I have no memory of that :p:
yeah it is a much better design

Well we did it with the tranny jacked up, so there wasn't interference when we made it. I think that is our excuse.

Well we did it with the tranny jacked up, so there wasn't interference when we made it. I think that is our excuse.

I apreciate it but in reality I just F#@#ed it up. I dont mind admiting it was my idea and didnt work out well.

I apreciate it but in reality I just F#@#ed it up. I dont mind admiting it was my idea and didnt work out well.

IMO I say we just blame Linds and be done with it :p:

Well, got Morgan back together and drove him home today (finally!!). I must say it's like having a different truck, one that's much quieter and vibration free! The ride's been interesting with only 3 working brakes and no trac bar though :eek: I can't say my tires are pretty quiet anymore, because now I can actually hear them.... lol. Love that sing-song mud terrain noise :D I got sick of my ox lever banging around the floorboard, so I hard mounted the sucker sideways to the floor between the trans shifter and the cupholder. The cable still has a ton of slack though, so Ross and I will have to get creative when we route it and put it in correctly in a few days. I'll take a pic tomorrow... Sure hope my brakelines get here soon, temp tags expire in 4 days. Hey IZ, did you get my message about inspection?? PLEASE let me know, I gotta get this done!

Hey IZ, did you get my message about inspection?? PLEASE let me know, I gotta get this done!
Sorry didnt get it - sending you a PM about it now.

my inspaction went out in 05 :shifty_ey

good to hear morans back to gether... sorta

so i heard the trac bar was what bangin around, but what happened to it?

my inspaction went out in 05 :shifty_ey

good to hear morans back to gether... sorta

so i heard the trac bar was what bangin around, but what happened to it?

The bolt holding it in to the the trac bar mount (on the frame) was half the diameter it should be... but the sleeve inside the bushing's been oval'd out so it's tough to get the proper size (1/2") bolt to go through without stripping the threads. I actually pulled the sleeve out by accident, woops. I'm just going to hammer the sucker in there and if it strips I'll rethread the bolt. ....I hope.

And before anyone asks why I don't just get a new trac bar or a trac bar bushing/sleeve, nobody makes EITHER anymore! :(

did you resurface the flywheel before putting it back together i hope?

Eeee... err... uh. oops? :confused:

I'd never done a clutch previous to doing mine, and that was one of the things that was left out when I asked everybody what goes where and how it goes together *sheepish* :rolleyes: There's a bit of herky jerky when I let off the gas at really low speeds but other than that the clutch is smooth as butta :)

*sigh* what i miss about the eastcoast....

There's a bit of herky jerky when I let off the gas at really low speeds but other than that the clutch is smooth as butta :)

Are you sure it's the clutch? Just Kidding. :p:

Back