Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Opening the rear hatch from inside.

Discussion in 'Explorer - Ranger Interior Accessories' started by chriswells78, July 12, 2007.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. chriswells78

chriswells78 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Powell(Columbus), OH
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2013 Limited
      So I used the Explorer to camp in last weekend. A full size air mattress fits perfectly in the back with the rear seats down. It worked great for all but one aspect. We couldn't get out the hatch from the inside.

My question is, is there a trick to opening the hatch from the inside or is it not possible. If it is not, does anybody have any ideas how to make some sort of hatch release from the inside? It's kind of a PITA to crawl out the rear door.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. aoprea

aoprea New Member

City, State:
      Hicksville, NY
      '91sport
      well the stock latch rotates to disengage so you might look into taking the rear hatch apart and installing a pully near the bottom edge and run a wire under it to the part of the rotating mechanism the moves down. the wire can then leave the door 5 or six inches up from the bottom and have a handle attached.
      this will let you pull up and disengage the latch with a mattress in the bed.

I haven't actually tried this but might eventually because I also like the idea of sleeping in the back of my truck on a futon mattress i have lying around.

4. Tbars4

Tbars4 Moderator Emeritus Elite In Memoriam

Media:
      City, State:
      anaheim hills,california
      95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
      lmao, i just seen this post today...i asked the very same question a couple of weeks ago as i to went camping and had a worst time getting out...my door lock pins in the rear were the same height as the fronts...in order to get out the back at all i had to reach down thru everything, release the drivers side seat so it would tilt forward so i could get to the button to unlock the doors...either that or take a chance on busting my armrest crawling thru...thank goodness i'm good in tight quarters, lmao...

i didn't get any good responses to my post but i will devise something...my main concern is at least being able to open that window manually, in case of emergency or if it gets to warm in there you can easily open the window without your keys sitting in the ignition...:)

5. toypaseo

toypaseo Flunked daycare Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      outside shovelling snow
      ................ 96 XLT ™
      I wonder if you could use something like a power trunk kit or door popper kit (ones used with shaved door handles; stronger solenoids)
      [​IMG]

6. chriswells78

City, State:
      Powell(Columbus), OH
      2013 Limited
      That might work. I'll have to do some research when I get done with my motor project.

7. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      There you go, attach a popper to the latch, inside the hatch. You would end up placing the switch on the hatch though,feeding wires out to the body is not easy. Good luck,

8. Charlie

Charlie Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      2000 Limited
      Did you ever try this? I would also be interested in what you did, because I find myself in the same situation a lot:p:

9. chriswells78

City, State:
      Powell(Columbus), OH
      2013 Limited
      I'll be working on it in a few months before we get full swing into camping season ;)

10. Buffalosports

Buffalosports Active Member

City, State:
      Buffalo, New York
      1998 Sport - 4WD
      I have the same question but for a much more serious reason. My liftgate is rusted over. It won't open. I am going to replace it this summer but I am not sure as to how I am gonna get it open to replace it.

11. Spdrcer34

Spdrcer34 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Bremerton, WA
      1992 Explorer XL
      I shaved the T-handle off the back of my X, and installed the T-handle in the inside of the hatch...I also installed the exact motor shown in this thread on the glass release latch. So I can press a button on my remote, and it will release the glass, I can reach in and pull the hatch open....the same can be done in a stock application too...

Ryan

12. kfkodiak

kfkodiak B

Wow, somehow I never saw this thread last year. :confused:

If you gently close the rear glass so it just rests against the weatherstripping, it will not engage the latch. This will allow you to simply push it open from inside. This may be possible with the entire hatch, though I've never tried it.

The solenoid idea would be pretty cool though.

13. FROADER

FROADER Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Huntington Beach, CA
      2010 XLT
      ^^ That exactly what I used to do, when I slept in the back of the explorer. Just pop the glass so it's not latched and then in the morning, push it open. You can then open the hatch with the handle outside. It also allows just enough fresh air while you sleep.

14. Tankentaisha

Tankentaisha Member

City, State:
      Alaska
      2002 Explorer XLT
      I'm going to put a switch inside the back door wired parallel to the switch for opening the glass hatch and I'll be able to leave the vehicle fully locked while asleep.

Even though leaving the upper hatch in a gently closed, unhatched state is pretty good, it still leaves you having to crawl back through the car if you accidentally close it.

Still hard to believe Ford put a mechanical lock at the bottom of the hatch inside and electronic lock for all doors, again inside next to the hatch, but no mechanical handle for the hatch or electronic release for the upper hatch. The second one will be the easiest to fix.