• Register Today It's free!

^OPINONS^ ON FOCAL COMPONENTS

Big Green

Reaction score
City, State
OKC, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4.6L
I just recently made trip to my local Audio store, and the guy/salesmen started telling me about a brand called Focal. I went into the store with the intention of buying some JL audio 5 1/4 components. But after listening to the Focals I started to change my mind. The Focals were extremely crisp and had good bass response. He continued to tell me that focal is one of the best speakers on the market. I thought I ought to get some input from you guys before making the purchase. Thanks for your input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes the Focals are a great set of components! I would get a set of them no problem. The only reason I have what I have is the kick but deal I used to get empoloyee purchase.

from what ive heard focals are the way to go... but can get really expensive

I am quickly finding out that those are really are great speakers. I have been doing some searching and havent read one bad thing about them. I hope the new system sounds good. I am going to get a JL 12w3v2 for the rear, and run 6 in. components all around.

oh man!...post pics when you are done!
Focal speakers are absolutely TOP SHELF!

D

True story:

My friend Doug and I went into an audio store to listen to some Eclipse components I was thinking about buying. Doug is not big-time into audio, but he loves any excuse to drive his Explorer around town. Now, I had heard of Focal, but never actually listened to them. I took in a CD to test out some Bostons, Eclipses, and the Focals. Ran through a bunch of different songs, and the Focals sounded the best every time. Not knocking Boston OR Eclipse (MB Quart has a great set of components too), but the Utopias were truly the best every single time.
My friend Doug and I returned to his home, and his wife wanted to know what we were doing. Doug tells his wife, "Karl went to listen to some REALLY expensive speakers for his Explorer." I nodded my head.
When his wife heard the price, her jaw dopped. "There's no way it's worth the money for a car stereo," she said.
"Well, Doug, how did they sound." I questioned.
"DAAAAAMMMMMMN good!" Doug said with a huge smile on his face.
Another way to think of it is: If you buy a pair of good speakers, you will often hear of some that are better, and might even change out speakers every year or two. If you buy the Focals, you won't hear any better speakers, and won't be kicking yourself later on.
My $.02
Karl

Black Magic: Where did you used to work?

Hey, do you guys know if the coax Focals are any good? I was thinking about getting some just b/c I'm sick of working on the Ex and I want an easy install.

I think the Focal coaxials would also be good. They make great speakers, so any one should be high quality. I've also heard only good things about Focal speakers. In my next truck, it'll be either Focal or MB Quart.

I've decided to throw in some focals and I'm ready to buy! I just wanna know what size I can fit in a 5x7 adapter plate so I don't have to construct my own. Also don't really wanna cut up the door at all. So will the 130s or 136s do me best (5 1/8 and 5 3/8) or could I easily go for the 165s (6 1/2). Thanks!

I've got 6.5" Boston Accoustics in my doors (5x7). Fit just fine. I'll post some pics if you want.

6.5s are easy. make a wood spacer (out of mdf or plywood) to competely cover the 5x7/6x8 hole. make it big enough for the required hole for the 6.5

mount it in place (you can use the factory screw holes and screws from the factory speaker)

cover it w/ dynamat or the like making sure to seal onto the metal too. cut out the hole, tracing the one you cut for the 6.5.

wire it up and drop it in

i forgot - you can put tweets from a coax set in the two round air vent at the corners of the dash. i did removing them from a set of q-logic kick panels. gives MUCH better imaging

this is based on experience

The Focals (specifically Utopias) are very deep speakers, with large magnets. I got a pair of 136W and they fit on a specially made MDF adapter plate....barely. The metal brace inside your door for strength hinders depth for speaker mounting ..... so keep that in mind.
Also, Focal doesn't make it easy on you since their speaker sizes are off the norms. You will most likely have to uild you own. Or, at least you'll have to re-draw the holes for the woofer and tweet.
If I can help any more, please let me know.
And Dynamat the he11 out of your door!
Karl Burns

dynamat the hell out of the door... CHECK!
measure the speaker mounting depth... CHECK (I think, got approx 2.75" from front of speaker mount)

The Focals I'm looking at are either PolyGlass or PolyKevlar, can't afford the Utopias power handling abilities. I think the PolyKev might even be too much for me. I only have a Rockford 400a4 amp to push these and my rears and it's rated @ 50x4RMS, which it easily pushes. So I was looking at something in the 60Wrms range.

terdrocket:
Are you talking about the ones that point towards the driver and pass front windows to defrost them? I believe that's what you're saying? And if you throw tweets in there, how'd you block off the heat?

Doc
I'd love to see some pics. I get antsy so I want to order before next weekend. If I could get some insight before then it'd be excellent. And if you knew the exact dimensions of the speakers that'd be even better. I know Focal has the DWG's on the website with all of the dimensions, pretty nice. I'm sure BA does too if I took the time to look. Maybe even a model # would be enough info for me to find out. Thanks.

But my mind is set on Focal, no other way about it! Just need to figure out the size :confused: So many speakers to choose from, I think the PolyKev might be my lucky lady if they'll fit and I have enough power.

One more Q, is there a noticeable gain jumping from 5 1/4s to 6 1/2s... especially when dealing with a speaker of this quality. I mean, I would think the 5 1/4 is going to sound amazing as it is, but will it really be worth jumping to a 6 1/2.

I'm running myself in circles here but I guess what would be the advantage of having a 6 1/2 vs. 5 1/4 besides cone size. I know, bigger cone = bigger displacement = generally better response. HELP! I've been thinking way too much.

FOCALs are excellent. Only hangup I have is they're french made (no flames please). I'd rather buy USA like Diamond HEX which are on par w/the poly-ks. Utopias cost $$$

to block of air in the vents, I put polyfill in there

hey terdrocket:

Do you have any pics of how the tweeters are mounted in the air vents? Or did you just "set" them in there over the polyfill? I think that would definitely be a really good place for imaging, next to hacking my dash up and putting them pointing at the windshield.

they are pretty much set in there. "press fit" w/ polyfill. no buzzes, vibrations or rattles.

i'll take some pics this afternoon when i get home.

i have really enjoyed the imaging. like i said before, i had them in a pair of kick panels. i didn't like the imaging, my legs are always in the way. (i'm 6'4")

in my 94' X, i had the tweets in the A pillar 3/4 of the way down, pretty good but not near as good as the vent location

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, how'd you run the wiring up into the dash?

Back