toypaseo

Flunked daycare
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
outside shovelling snow
Year, Model & Trim Level
................ 96 XLT ™
Time to shop for a new battery for my Paseo. The one in my Explorer is slightly aged also.

I can get an Optima Red Top for $119, with top terminals and side GM terminals. Red Top with top only terminals for $139. Yellow Top for $159.

Been noticing alot of bad reviews on Optimas lately though...
  • Crap out way before the warranty
  • Gel with solidify if voltage drops below 11.7 for any amount of time
  • Made in Mexico using cheaper lead
  • Need a battery tender to keep them happy
  • Etc etc...

My local parts stores are NAPA, Carquest, Pronto, and small repair shops. Forty miles away are Advance Auto and Autozone. I can get BLEM Interstate batteries for cheap from an Interstate distributor that is 120 miles away.

Should I just realize that all batteries have "bad batches" and bad reviews :scratch::dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pass on them just hype, we replace them by the hundreds on our mazda products.

Never liked them, they only became popular because they were new and expensive. I have 2 Everstarts in my '99 (one under hood, and one for audio) and I've never had my batteries go dead, and I've had my HIDs and music on for 6 hours while me and my buddy worked on his rig through the dark.

I got a yellow top about 3 months ago and love it so far. Never failed me. I put it to use also, have a winch that gets used about every weekend, air compressor, power inverter, hids, 4 hells off road lights, sound system. So I put it to use. Also spins the motor over a lot faster while cranking then my old battery.

Time will tell how it holds up though.

I dont think there are any advantages to AGM batteries unless you plan to roll the vehicle. I would just buy something local with at least a 3 year warranty so its easy to replace / trade-in.

Also, I was at my friend's house and glanced at the recent Consumer Report magazine. In it was a comparison of car batteries from major brands. You may want to check out that issue. The only thing I found unfair was they mixed AGMs with non-AGMs in the same comparison.

Also, I was at my friend's house and glanced at the recent Consumer Report magazine. In it was a comparison of the best car batteries. You may want to check out that issue. The only thing I found unfair was they mixed AGMs with non-AGMs in the same comparison.

I have been looking at that online...

Most batteries are made by, what, 3 companies? Johnson Controls manufactures the best out of them; I think they make duralast, interstate, motorcraft and diehard among others. I'm pretty sure they make the wal-mart brand battery now too, although they switch manufacturers a lot so you might want to check first.

Also worth noting is Johnson Controls owns Optima now and they are the ones who moved their production plant to Mexico. So if you want a good battery you are stuck supporting a company that outsources (whether or not the other brands they make are actually constructed in the US or not).

I've had the same optima red top dual post battery since I first built the '92 explorer, back in mid '06 I think. Its been running tons of lights, winches, electric fan, power inverter, air compressor, etc. When I sold the explorer I swapped it over to the Sami and now it runs winch and all in it with only a 60 amp alternator charging it... Its been killed from leaving the fans on and trickle charged back. I couldn't be happier with it.

I was planning on buying an Optima (Not sure which "top" yet:p:) for myself around Christmas time if I had the extra money, I had never heard anything bad about them, my dads had one in his 'stang goin on about 7 or 8 years now and it holds a perfect charge all winter in the garage.

i don't know why people want batteries that don't fit right and you have to make brackets for it.

why not buy my square wheels!

i don't know why people want batteries that don't fit right and you have to make brackets for it.

why not buy my square wheels!
My optima fits without additional anything.

Theres more than one optima size id assume...

I had the original Motorcraft battery (it was dated 2001) in my Ex until the end of 2008 or maybe early 2009. I only got a new one because it finally started to cause problems with start ups and stuff. I bought a Bosch Platinum with 1000CCA I think it was. Its been good so far. My truck sat for a month and started right up the first time with no problems at all.

My optima fits without additional anything.

i remember when they came out, they were round, and round on the bottom no ford hold down less a focus would hold it down.

things could have changed, but when they first appeared they were just round with no lip that never fit.

i used to laugh at people with them in cars, they just bounced all around the engine bay.

haven't seen one of these recently.

I put a "NEW" Yellow Top in my 92 Z28, died in 18 months,
got another new one and it lasted 12 months.

I will NEVER buy an Optima Battery again.

The main cause of battery failure for ANY battery is vibration, improper maintenance, and improper application. If you're killing any battery with a good warranty that many times i'm willing to bet it is because of one of those 3 reasons (waskly just pointed out that they don't fit well in certain cars without modification). Like I pointed out earlier, all car batteries are made by only 3 different companies and just have different labels at this point.

Thats just cus it was in a chevy:thumbdwn:, I bet it wouldda lasted you until about 2019 in your Expo :D

I had a Red Top and it died after about two years. I may have contributed to the demise as it was a but wobbly under the hood. Got it replaced under warranty. Still have it, but replaced it with a Yellow Top which I have under the hood now. The Red Top still works fine. I keep it around as a spare.

I have read many mixed reviews on them in the archives and elsewhere, but I'm happy with them overall.

Make sure you condition them/charge them with a Ctek. Awesome chargers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Optimas are not 'junk'...buuut the quality went down in the 90's once Johnson Controls bought them, and recently hit another low not that long ago when they closed down the plant in Colorado, laid off all the employees, and moved the entire manufacturing operation down to Mexico. They also changed the warranty, making it shorter, with no pro-rated period.

The 'BEST' AGM battery out there (and some would say the 'BEST' automotive battery, period) is, believe it or not, the Sears DieHard Platinum. The not-so-secret is that it's really a private label rebadged Odyssey, manufactured in the USA by EnerSys, the manufacturer of batteries for the US Armed Forces. The Group 65 battery is a direct drop-in fit for Explorers, and has a better CCA/CA rating, not to mention not having to use adapters or hold down trays or any of that. They also sell a Group 25 and 35 for Toyotas, but it's the same price as the much larger Group 65.

Adding to the value is that the DieHard Platinum retails for $189.99, while the Odysseys, the SAME battery, are upwards of $280-300+. Even BETTER is that the DieHard Platinum sometimes is offered for $170 with certain discounts (it's $170.99 online right now, with savings), or even $140 on sale at certain times. I have, however, seen Optima redtops for $140 at Sam's/Costco, so the retail price is almost even in that respect.

The real kicker in terms of value is the warranty. The DieHard Platinum has a 4-YEAR free replacement, 100-month (total, not additional) Prorated warranty.

All in all, the DieHard Platinum just blows the Optima out of the water. The only advantage the Optima still enjoys is a lighter weight for it's claimed amps.

Personally I switched from the Optima 34/78 to the DieHard Platinum Group 65 in the Explorer. It wasn't a huge difference in terms of cranking, but the peace of mind is from being able to get a warranty replacement anywhere across the country at the Closest Sears Automotive Department or Auto Repair Center that carries the Platinum line.

I had a fair bit of difficulty getting warranty service on an Optima (although the service in Denver was great, twice I received a new battery when a cell went bad just before it went out of full replacement warranty) in the past few years, and now it's so bad that retailers will only honor the Optima warranty if you bought it from them and have the receipt to prove it. I am through with that drama and will replace my remaining Optima with a DieHard Platinum when the time comes, unless some better option presents itself.

Optimas were okay, I don't regret buying them, and mine have given years of dependable service, and never left me stranded. I don't you can ask much more of a battery. However, I do not wish to do business with a company that has forsaken it's loyal employees, it's customer base, and whose greed motivated them to lower the quality of their product, while having the nerve to continually increase the price and finally reduce the warranty period in order to cut costs and increase the bottom line. The Sears DieHard Platinum goes in the complete opposite direction, with a high quality made-in-the-USA product, the LONGEST warranty on an automotive battery, and at a LOWER price. Personally, I don't think it can be beat, which is why I bought one.

As for whether AGM batteries are necessary...sure, they aren't. You can get a DieHard, Duralast, etc. wet cell for $79.99-109.99 that might last 6-8 years. But for me, the main benefit is not having acid and corrosion all over the place. 7-8 years of clean, corrosion-free battery terminals, cables, tray, etc. is worth the price premium, since it comes with a higher amperage rating as well.

Back