• Register Today It's free!

Orange sticker on tranny

eric mentzer

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT 4 door 4wd
any idea why this sticker is on my 1996 explorer transmission? Previous owner said it had been replaced but not sure. 87k on it now just curious

EF4FC69A-E19D-4768-A311-AF9B5F4C72C0.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From the limited info I can find these were replacements Ford put in and the dealers weren’t allowed to open them up to fix. If there was an issue they had to diagnose it needed rebuild without opening it up, and call the number with all the specifics. I’m assuming it failed under warranty and Ford used these for R&D. They did the same on later Rangers.

Have a 95 Lincoln Conti with a similar sticker for the AX4N. Those were quite new at the time(all computer controlled) and I guess they wanted any failures back to HQ to see if there were major issues.

Also, I strongly suggest a big trans cooler. My 96 didn't have one.
Hayden 679 is available on Ebay for under 40 bucks. Mounts in the stock location if you bend some of the mounting tabs. These transmissions can use all the help they can get!

After a long drive up a hill in the summer, you can burn yourself on it.

My '97 Sport had a sticker like that on the trans. Not quite sure what it was for but @96eb96 96 is probably right.

So it may be a replacement and they wanted to see why the second failed possibly or do all transmissions get the sticker?

So it may be a replacement and they wanted to see why the second failed possibly or do all transmissions get the sticker?
Probably an old pan got put on. Maybe even the original one depending on the build date. My 96 was built in 95. I replaced my pan with the dorman one that has the drain plug. Some trans guy here said if everyone had a drain plug and big cooler he would be out of business. I can drop some fluid every few oil changes, good insurance. Our transmissions have a weakness with a steel pin in an AL case bore. Eventually the bore wears out, causes the pin to stick and there is a chain of events that leads to a replacement. Also valve body gaskets, etc.

His theory was if the fluid has good enough lubricity (which declines with heat and age) the chances of that happening is minimized. The more the trans gets cycled (e.g. 100 miles city driving vs highway) the shorter its life. In the same distance, stop and go, that servo may move 100 times to shift gears while only once or twice on the highway. Stop and go can get the fluid real hot too, esp in the summer.

Back