Ordered My New 2018 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ordered My New 2018 Explorer

Do you know if '18 will be a short run? I remember '12 was to bring in the changes for '13 which I why I waited then! I've seen the spy photos for what looks to be the '19 and I'm not a fan of the new body style. Really like what I have just looking to upgrade a bit. Thanks so much!
No, I don't know about the short production period. I don't think Ford releases that sort of info. The '19 should be the same as the '18 models. The 2020 will come out likely in the latter part of 2019.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update:

Last week, I received the VIN for the 2018 Explorer I ordered on August 9, and my dealer informed me that production is scheduled for the week of November 6. That means delivery will likely take place during the week of November 20. I'm looking forward to tinkering with the Sync3 V3.0 system when it arrives.

Update:

Last week, I received the VIN for the 2018 Explorer I ordered on August 9, and my dealer informed me that production is scheduled for the week of November 6. That means delivery will likely take place during the week of November 20. I'm looking forward to tinkering with the Sync3 V3.0 system when it arrives.
I think that delivery date is a bit optimistic. I'm guessing around the 1st week of December at the earliest. Remember that completed vehicles sit around waiting for a sufficient number to ship out. I guess time will tell.

Peter

Update:

My Sync3 is on v2.2 right now and I took delivery of my Explorer on Aug 1st of this year. Wonder when we will be upgraded to v3.0 as well.

My Sync3 is on v2.2 right now and I took delivery of my Explorer on Aug 1st of this year. Wonder when we will be upgraded to v3.0 as well.
You're already ahead of us with V2.0. Not sure what changed or improved in V2.2.

The owners manual on the Ford site for the 2018 Explorer shows it doesn't have the adaptive cruise control with auto stop. Also I couldn't find the pedestrian detection either. The 2018 F150 and the 2018 Expedition have it.

You are correct. According to the Manual, It has neither feature. I would expect those to be available on the redesigned 2020 model.

Peter

Just an update from some of my well-informed contacts. The Chicago Assembly Plant is undergoing assembly line updating to make way for the 2020 Explorer, this construction is delaying Job1 for the 2018MY.

Job1 looking like November now.

Just an update from some of my well-informed contacts. The Chicago Assembly Plant is undergoing assembly line updating to make way for the 2020 Explorer, this construction is delaying Job1 for the 2018MY.

Job1 looking like November now.
According to Ford's Final Order Start Up Dates schedule, the 2018 Production Start Up date has not changed. Still shows October 20th.

Peter

I ordered a 2018 Explorer Platinum on August 9. I got to choose the vehicle and my wife selected the color. This time, it's going to be the new Burgundy Velvet Metallic Tinted Clearcoat -- the longest paint-color name I've ever seen.

If Ford's current scheduling and production schedule is accurate, I predict delivery in mid-November.

You mind sharing the info on engine, drive (eg FWD), MSRP, final price, and incentives? I'm debating between a 17 and 18 but can't find any price details for the 18.

You mind sharing the info on engine, drive (eg FWD), MSRP, final price, and incentives? I'm debating between a 17 and 18 but can't find any price details for the 18.

Engines and transmissions for the 2018 Explorer are the same as the engines and transmissions used in the 2017 Explorers. So, my 2018 Platinum will come with the now-familiar 3.5-liter Ecoboost engine and all-wheel drive.

When I order a new car, my best offer is $300 over invoice. I realize that there are holdbacks and other incentives from the factory that add to the dealer's profit, and I also realize that everyone has to earn a living and put food on the table. I think $300 over invoice is a fair deal for all involved. MSRP for the 2018 Platinum is $55,330. Invoice price is $52,925.51, so my final price was $53,225.51.

Regarding incentives, I will be eligible for any and all incentives in place at time of delivery. I'm expecting to pick up my new Explorer in late November, so I'll have to wait and see which incentives -- if any -- are offered at that time.

When I order a new car, my best offer is $300 over invoice. I realize that there are holdbacks and other incentives from the factory that add to the dealer's profit, and I also realize that everyone has to earn a living and put food on the table. I think $300 over invoice is a fair deal for all involved. MSRP for the 2018 Platinum is $55,330. Invoice price is $52,925.51, so my final price was $53,225.51.

Interesting. MSRP for 2017 Platinum is $53,235, so that's a $2095 increase. I just emailed a guy at a local dealership to have him price out a few 2018's for me. Relative to the one or two 2017's available somewhere in the US that match my desired specs, it would probably be $3-5k more for a 2018 Limited with the same specs, considering a likely MSRP increase as well as fewer/no incentives for the 2018... Seems like too much to justify, since there aren't really many improvements to the Limited except for the 4G modem/Wifi.

My mistake. The MSRP that I presented ($55,330) was the MSRP for my 2018 Explorer with optional paint and I included destination and delivery fees. Base MSRP for a 2018 Platinum is $53,940. That means price increase from 2017 to 2018 for a Platinum is $645.

My mistake. The MSRP that I presented ($55,330) was the MSRP for my 2018 Explorer with optional paint and I included destination and delivery fees. Base MSRP for a 2018 Platinum is $53,940. That means price increase from 2017 to 2018 for a Platinum is $645.

Interesting. Hoping this guy gets back to me soon. I'm curious how the price has changed for the Limited and Sport, considering that they've dreamt up this new Safe and Smart Package.

Interesting. Hoping this guy gets back to me soon. I'm curious how the price has changed for the Limited and Sport, considering that they've dreamt up this new Safe and Smart Package.
Keep in mind that the Safe and Smart Package is an option on the XLT, Limited and Sport. It depends on which 'Package' you chose.

Peter

Keep in mind that the Safe and Smart Package is an option on the XLT, Limited and Sport. It depends on which 'Package' you chose.

Peter

Based on the Order Guide, I got the impression that it's a package available to the Limited as well (part of 301A). Some of the features within the Safe and Smart package are standalone options (e.g. adaptive cruise) for 2017, but looks like they're bundling it all together for all Trims in 2018MY.

I received another production update on the 2018 Explorer I ordered on August 9.

The original schedule called for production to happen during the week of November 6. Latest update from my sales guy says schedule has slipped a week and now calls for vehicle to be built during week of November 13.

This slippage may be a result of the Chicago Assembly Plant updates mentioned by Sgt1411 in this thread.

I ordered a 2018 Explorer Platinum on August 9. I got to choose the vehicle and my wife selected the color. This time, it's going to be the new Burgundy Velvet Metallic Tinted Clearcoat -- the longest paint-color name I've ever seen.

If Ford's current scheduling and production schedule is accurate, I predict delivery in mid-November.
I received another production update on the 2018 Explorer I ordered on August 9.

The original schedule called for production to happen during the week of November 6. Latest update from my sales guy says schedule has slipped a week and now calls for vehicle to be built during week of November 13.

This slippage may be a result of the Chicago Assembly Plant updates mentioned by Sgt1411 in this thread.

Ordered a 2018 Explorer Limited 10/21 in New York - received order accepted number of 6318 - 301A package has all the Safe & Smart options that are available. DORA was processed 10/24 but can't find it in the Ford Order Tracking Site - I can see other Explorers (2018) ordered on 10/6/17 from same dealer that have Order in Progress and VIN assigned. Is there an average turn around time from order placed to getting VIN assigned and in order production - Tagged as Priority 10 retail

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ordered a 2018 Explorer Limited 10/21 in New York - received order accepted number of 6318 - 301A package has all the Safe & Smart options that are available. DORA was processed 10/24 but can't find it in the Ford Order Tracking Site - I can see other Explorers (2018) ordered on 10/6/17 from same dealer that have Order in Progress and VIN assigned. Is there an average turn around time from order placed to getting VIN assigned and in order production - Tagged as Priority 10 retail
Maybe this thread will help. The Ford order/build/deliver timeline.

Peter

Back