• Register Today It's free!

Outside Air Temp suddenly wrong?

WaltHC3

Reaction score
City, State
Malden, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
Hi there! Been lurking for a couple weeks since I bought a 2011 XLT, first time posting. On my way home tonight the outside temp gauge suddenly started reading much higher than it should. It's about 50° outside tonight and the temp was reading at a high of 105°!! It was making my climate control run quite cold. What could be causing this? I haven't hit anything or crunched the area where the sensor is, according to my reading so far. The only thing I can think of is that it has been raining tonight and I drove through a few puddles at my barn, but nothing too deep or crazy. I love my Explorer so far, but this is a pain! With three kids I can't afford to not have properly working climate control. Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Walt,

My 2015 is doing the same thing although not consistently showing higher than actual outside temperature. A few weeks back I noticed the display showing 15 degrees when it was actually over 30. Yesterday it was showing 90 degrees although the temps were in the 50's. Can't say it has impacted my climate control however. I have the 'my temp' set to 70 pretty much all year around and if I vary from that it is done manually.

I wasn't going to worry about it too much, since it doesn't seem to impact performance, however if any of the other members know of a quick fix I certainly wouldn't mind.

Hi there! Been lurking for a couple weeks since I bought a 2011 XLT, first time posting. On my way home tonight the outside temp gauge suddenly started reading much higher than it should. It's about 50° outside tonight and the temp was reading at a high of 105°!! It was making my climate control run quite cold. What could be causing this? I haven't hit anything or crunched the area where the sensor is, according to my reading so far. The only thing I can think of is that it has been raining tonight and I drove through a few puddles at my barn, but nothing too deep or crazy. I love my Explorer so far, but this is a pain! With three kids I can't afford to not have properly working climate control. Thank you!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Although the symptom isn't exactly the same, it could be related to this; Ambient Air Temperature Issue

Peter

Thanks for the gouge, Peter!

I was able to get under the bumper the other day and get a better look at the sensor. Looks like part of the housing on the pigtail where it connects to the sensor is broken off. I'm guessing water is getting in there when it's raining/snowing and causing a short of some sort that is in turn causing the wacked out temp readings. Spoke to my dealer and they're replacing the broken part. They're also looking into the all too common intermittent backup camera blackouts.

Walt - I think mine is doing the same. Yesterday it was dry and my external temp reading was close to actual. Today it was raining hard on my drive in to work and the temp was 30 degrees higher than actual. Looks like I'll have to get mine in for a replacement also.

Thanks for the gouge, Peter!

I was able to get under the bumper the other day and get a better look at the sensor. Looks like part of the housing on the pigtail where it connects to the sensor is broken off. I'm guessing water is getting in there when it's raining/snowing and causing a short of some sort that is in turn causing the wacked out temp readings. Spoke to my dealer and they're replacing the broken part. They're also looking into the all too common intermittent backup camera blackouts.
You're welcome Walt. Glad to help out. As for the camera blackouts, that could be the camera itself that is failing. For a while there seemed to many members with the earlier models (2011/2012) reporting camera failures. Rearview Camera Problems Good luck.

Peter

Back