• Register Today It's free!

Outside keypad doesn't work.

viking37

Reaction score
City, State
Staten Island, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Hope you can help. Using the outside door lock keypad, which i havent used for a while, I keyed in my five digit code to open the door and nothing happened. Pad did not light up and code did not work. Code is the factory numbers issued at purchase time. Looks like the system is down. Any ideas how i can bring it back to life? Any procedure? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Outside entry keypad doesn't work

I haven't used the outside keypad in a while. I just tried to key in the factory 5 digit numbers and no luck. The pad did not lite up and the door lock, driver side did not open. It looks like the system has shut down. Does anyone know how to correct this problem. Thanks all in advance.

you have to open that door panel up and look for loose plugs, or wires. Another idea some have found that over time that some of the wires break between the door and the body, usually in that rubber boot, sometimes this can cause the door locks to stop working. . power mirrors . .windows etc, i would think that lock system would also be in that harness. Does the keyfob work?

outside keypad

The key fob works OK. If i key in factory code and hit the two bottom keys the doors will lock. Unlock function is no good and light on keys does not go on when keys pressed. Sounds like I have to reset something but dont know what. Thanks for the response.

so that means its getting power and there should NOT be a harness problem. . .
If 7/8 work . . . hum. . . it might be the keypad. Not lighting up and i could see if only half the pad worked like 1/2 not working then unlock won't work as it will never get the full code. I'd have to double check but i think the locks are controlled by the BCM. When i get a chance i'll check the FSM.

Outside Keypad

Thanks for the response. Hope you have an inexpensive answer for me. That feature has saved me many a step when my keys are in the house and i need something in the truck. Is there a key in that i can do to correct this problem?

ok security module is mounted c-piller half way down. The ones with the numbers for the lock on it. . .

In the FSM there was a diagnostic for no lighted buttons the solution of which was to replace the keypad. If you had a scan tool it will tell you if and when a button is pushed, but taking it to the dealer to find that out it may be more than a new panel.

There is a plug for it have you check that? Also too if you find more than five wires back there there is a chance that one could be broken in the rubber boot between the door and pillar.

To get to it, essentially pull the weather stripping to revel 4 bolts that you remove then the black panel should pull away from the door and the plug.

Keypad

Thanks Jim. Will check all and post a result. Ken

I was searching on Google for any information about this keypad not lighting up and found this thread. Mine works perfectly with the exception of not lighting up, Has for two years now. The first five years I owned this vehicle, it lit up just fine. It seems to me that I've read somewhere that it's due to a faulty Body Control Module. I went as far as disassembling the keypad and applying 5VDC to each LED to test it. All of them worked. Is there a possibility of the chip on the keypad's PCB being faulty, or is that BCM to blame as I read previously (Maybe here?)

Outside Keypad Don't work

I ran in a used keypad and the same problem exists. BCM could be the problem. My explorer developed a few more problems and the clunker deal looked great so i did a trade in and bought the 2010 XLT. Problem solved. I would try the bcm if you can pick one up used. Lots of luck.

Hmm trade in will never happen for me but congrats!! :-D New engine at 70k, garage kept, enough custom work done by me to make me cringe at doing it over to the same vehicle. I fix whatever breaks, which hasn't been much, so it's all still in new condition pretty much. I Would like the new 3V V8 though, but I'll swap in a 4V cobra motor before I do one of those, too small of an improvement for the cost.

Guess I'll search for a used BCM now, I can get ford parts at dealer cost, but cost on that is still up in the high hundreds. Thanks for your input!

Hello,

I'm new to the forum... Can you assist me with this question: it's similar...
Question: My Daytime Running Lights and Keyless pad on drivers door is not working. I think the fuse I checked under the dash is # 30- 15 amp. it's not blown...

Is there another fuse to check?
Thx in advance.

2003 Ford Explorer XLT

Keypad

Did you ever resolve this issue? My keypad is having similar issues and I have checked all the wiring from the SJB and grounds. The wiring is okay and the keypad is new, however it works only intermittently.

Back