• Register Today It's free!

Overdrive Dash Light

Redfish

Reaction score
City, State
Hampton, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4X4
The O/D dash light on my 2002 Explorer XLT decided to have a live of its own today. It's blinking a mile a minute. I was wondering if perhaps a fuse is on the fritz or if the light was perparing to burn out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have seen this semi-often and usually is the solenoid pack going bad. Ck for codes and see if there any to help further diagnose.

Where is the solenoid pack and how do you check for codes?

Solenoid pack is in the transmission and you can take it to most any of the auto parts stores and they will check the codes for free. They might not want to do it if you don't have a check engine or service engine soon light on but tell them to do it anyway, haha.

I stopped by Auto Zone to have them run a code check based upon the blinking O/D light this afternoon. They wouldn't check it because the engine warning light was not on. Do you have to drop the transmission or is it mounted on the side where you can just remove it with a wrench? Is it located on the driver or passenger side?

I stopped by Auto Zone to have them run a code check based upon the blinking O/D light this afternoon. They wouldn't check it because the engine warning light was not on. Do you have to drop the transmission or is it mounted on the side where you can just remove it with a wrench? Is it located on the driver or passenger side?

"It" being what, the solenoid module? A whole slew of parts failed internally will cause the flashing lite.....you really need the codes if you want to avoid "spearing fish in the dark".

Easiest start, without codes, is analyze what is the transmission doing, exactly? Anything seem fishy? Shifts all normal? Any slippage (engine speed-up upon shift occurring)? The more things not normal which are detectable by "feel", the less likely a solenoid is at fault.

If the 5-speed automatic, a 5r55w or 5r55s, there are 8 solenoids. If you are hell-bent to get at them, they are fastened to the control valve body, accessible by dropping the oil pan. imp

I'm heading by AZ on the ay home and will just tell them my check engine light came on so I can get them to pull the codes. I don't have any rough shifting yet and am not interested in waiting for that to happen.
I'm not hell bent on buying anything until I know I need too.:)

Got a friend of mine who is a Ford Mechanic to get the proper code. PO796 was what showed up with is the solenoid pack 1L2Z 7G391 AG. Now I need to find the part. His cost is 250.

Got a friend of mine who is a Ford Mechanic to get the proper code. PO796 was what showed up with is the solenoid pack 1L2Z 7G391 AG. Now I need to find the part. His cost is 250.

P0796 reads "Pressure Control "C" Solenoid, open circuit". So, good chance replacing the solenoid pack will take care of it.

I bought mine on E-bay, brand-new part, made by Bosch, for around $185, last year. $250 sounds good "ball-park", from Ford Parts. Good luck! imp

I hope it does. The next project will be tackling the rear diff and all the associated issues that has come with it.
I found re-manufactured on EBAY for 199. I'm going to get a huge break on labor so I will probably buy the part at his cost. I will also get the tranny fluid at cost so it will be almost a wash.

Back