• Register Today It's free!

Overdrive Shift Point Issues

Schockmade

Reaction score
City, State
CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer Explorer
I am starting a new thread after trying several times to find an answer to my problem in existing threads. I have not found anything to help yet so maybe my issue is unique.

I bought an 2006 Eddie Bauer Explorer 4.0 L for my wife in late 2015. The motor died in 2016 and I put in a crate motor, shorty headers, Magnaflow cats, and high flow cat back Magnaflow exhaust. Shortly after the engine drop it was apparent that the transmission too had issues and within 600 miles I needed to have it rebuilt. This is the back story, and now the issue.

The transmission shifts as it should at slower speeds (say under 70 MPH) on cruise control or when driven by foot. If I take the speed up from there I can shift it in and out of overdrive mostly as it should if driving by foot. The problem is that if driving faster than 70 MPH and on cruise control it will shift down early on a grade and stay out of overdrive until a downgrade is reached. I do run the truck hard (80 MPH) and I am usually carrying at least 250 pounds of samples and literature inside along with my substantial body weight.

It has been almost 9000 miles since my repairs so there has been plenty of time for the computer to "learn" my driving habits. I am very happy with the power and drivability of the vehicle except for this problem, which is terrible. I drove 500 miles this week at highway speeds and 3/4 of that was outside of overdrive.

My question is does anyone know if I can fix this issue? The transmission shop that did my rebuild says that there is nothing that I can do. I am getting terrible highway gas mileage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it truely shifting out of overdrive? Or maybe just unlocking the torque converter? My 2006 4.0 will unlock the converter a lot on cruise control on slight slopes that I could have easily pulled otherwise with converter locked. Mine has done this since new,

It definitely shifts out of overdrive. RPM's change from roughly 2500 RPM to roughly 3500 RPM and will not shift back into overdrive until a down grade. Even if it shifted back to overdrive on the flat I could live with it.

Did they just put in a kit when they rebuilt the transmission and not service the servo bores? Sounds like its still leaking past the pistons due to servo bore wear.

I will ask them. Thank you for the input.

Update: I still have not solved my shifting problem, but I have improved it somewhat. I bought a tuner and running it in Economy mode seems to help a bit. I had bad wheel bearings all the way around and replacing them seemed to have a slight improvement. I am going to put on the last KKM CAI made for the 06 Explorer. Everything in total seems to have helped a bit and my mileage is improving as well.

Back