for access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

overdrive solenoid

Discussion in 'Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, &' started by grimace33, September 8, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. grimace33

grimace33 New Member

City, State:
      Green Bay, WI
      Year and Model:
      99 Explorer
      I was told that replacing the overdrive solenoid would help fix my transmission issues but not sure where to find it. Does anyone know where I can purchase one? Is it called something else?
      Any help would be great.

Josh

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Glacier991

Glacier991 EF Tranny Guru Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      Year and Model:
      1992 XLT
      what size engine do you have? 6 cyl or 8?

4. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    5. grimace33

grimace33 New Member

City, State:
      Green Bay, WI
      Year and Model:
      99 Explorer
      I have a 1999 Explorer Sport with the 4.0L V6. Glacier i have read your diary on the value body rebuild and now am just looking for that solenoid. My brother thinks that should replace it.. or that's what he's read in the forums.
      Your thoughts???
      Thanks

6. Glacier991

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      Year and Model:
      1992 XLT
      What are your issues? There are 4 shift solenoids in the 5R55E (as compared to 2 in the A4LD.) An issue description will be helpful.

7. grimace33

grimace33 New Member

City, State:
      Green Bay, WI
      Year and Model:
      99 Explorer
      Mostly the flare issue....it started when I took it for a test drive after replacing the rear brakes. I pulled up to the curb to put it in reverse and back into the driveway and it wouldn't do anything right away...just rev then it would continue into the gear. I tried it with overdrive then...same thing. The only gears the worked operational were to manually shift into 2 or 1. My brother suggested from reading on the forum to do a test by gearing down from 2 to 1 manually and if gears down it maybe something else. We have both looked into the value body diaries and I have purchased the following parts: EPC, Transgo Shift Kit, VLV ASY-TRANS THROT, PLATE TRANS SOLENOID. Now I am looking to purchase a overdrive solenoid, if you suggest that I should go that route as well. I hoping to get this complete this weekend and just not sure where to find the last part.

8. Glacier991

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      Year and Model:
      1992 XLT
      I'd wait til you have the the chance to test each solenoid before you buy anything. You will just need a "shift solenoid"... BB has given you a link to where those can be had.