• Register Today It's free!

overhead console display

dlrobinson

Reaction score
City, State
arlington, virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 explorer
i lost the digital dsiplay for the temperature and compass display in the overhead console unit. any ideas in where to start the problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i lost the digital dsiplay for the temperature and compass display in the overhead console unit. any ideas in where to start the problem?

Sir,

I do not know if you had repaired your unit or not but I will detail my experience in repairing my unit today. I had exactly the same problem where the unit suddenly went blank. Here is the procedure,

1- Pressed the mode switch several times to make sure I did not put the
unit in the blank mode accidently (did not work)
2- Checked the 7.5 A fuse number 10 and it was Ok
3- Removed the two screws holding the unit to the ceiling and pulled the unit
from the front to release the two clips.
4- I used a T-10 security bit to disassamble evey thing in the unit and to
get to the printed circuit board.
5- I found two surface mount resistors next to each other with 510 printed
on them that were cracked off the board (you need magnifing glass).
They overheated (poor design) and they desoldered themselves off the
board.
6- You can resolder them or better replace them.
7- I used two 68 ohms quarter watt resistors (to reduce power disspation)
and soldered them in their place.
8- You can check your work by attaching the board to the wire harness and
to the plug in the ceiling and turn ignition on.
9- If everything is Ok (as I hope) disconnect the board and reassemble the
unit and install it back.

Hopefully this will help someone in the future.

I have a similar problem on my Explorer 2000 edie bauer.
The difference is my display is intermitent. Works for 5 minutes and then it shuts down.
Sometimes it does not want to turn on when start driving.
Any idea of what is causing the problem?
Will mine disasemble the same way as the explorer 98?

I would think so. If one end of the resistor is desoldred, it makes intermiitent connections with vibrations. The 2000 unit is not much different from the 1999 model and perhaps unassemble in the same way. Good luck.

when my overhead flashes on and off it takes the blinkers with it...would it be the same problem or something different?

Overhead console

OMG thank you thank you thank you! I can't find the exact post that had the detailed instructions and pix for fixing the temp/compass display so I can't thank you by name, but thanks! Our display hasn't worked for several years and my husband has been searching junkyards for the last couple of weeks. I saw this forum and had to bully him into trying it(told him I'd never research anything on the Internet for him again if he didn't) and it WORKED! If you hadn't specifically said it was the 510 resistors I doubt if we'd ever have noticed they were loose. They look like they're OK til you lift one end. Saved us a ton of money and trouble! Thanks again!

Unfortunately the circuit board for a 1997 Sport isn't the same as the 2000. I took ours out and the only thing I could find was a discoloration on the actual display in one corner. Back to square one and searching.

Grazie a tutti siete stati fantastici. Grazie dall'Italia.
Thankyou very much at all. You are fantastics. Thankyou form Italy.

Unfortunately the circuit board for a 1997 Sport isn't the same as the 2000. I took ours out and the only thing I could find was a discoloration on the actual display in one corner. Back to square one and searching.

I had discoloration in one corner in mine as well. It was all black in the corner. But, I looked on the circuit board and did find that the 510 was disconnected. I soldered er back on the board, and now it works perfectly. Make sure you are not missing any resister, (might have fallen on the ground when taking it apart). Or try to lightly poke them with a screw driver and see if they loose contact.

Have you had any luck yet? I tore apart my 97 Console only to find that I do not even have a 501 transistor. I wonder if they sell new boards. Let me know if you have had any luck.

I have 3 nearby junk yards that always have EX's on them. I could go find one for you if you would like. Ofcourse you would have to pay for it and shipping. If your interested. I also only use paypal.

Overhead console fixed

When Itore my compass/temperature guage apart, I was unable to find anything that was loose. I also had transistors numbered 161 on my board, not the 501 that is discussed in the other helpful posts. I went to a local junkyard and was able to find a new overhead console. I swapped out the board and the map lights and after a few false starts, it seems to work fine again.

Over Head Console Fix

OMG thank you thank you thank you! I can't find the exact post that had the detailed instructions and pix for fixing the temp/compass display so I can't thank you by name, but thanks! Our display hasn't worked for several years and my husband has been searching junkyards for the last couple of weeks. I saw this forum and had to bully him into trying it(told him I'd never research anything on the Internet for him again if he didn't) and it WORKED! If you hadn't specifically said it was the 510 resistors I doubt if we'd ever have noticed they were loose. They look like they're OK til you lift one end. Saved us a ton of money and trouble! Thanks again!

>>> This fixed worked perfectly...Mine does not have the sunroof...I did not have a magnifying glass so I re-soldered all four contacts as described and "wa-la" it worked...I guess I got lucky that it wasn't another problem. Thanks for post! :)

Over Head Console Fix

Thank you! I followed the instructions from "Mabdu" and it worked on my 2001 XLT! I never soldered before so I was very pleased and surprised when I saw the display come on after plugging it in. Thank you again.

Back