Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Overzealous Thread Merging

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box - Forum Feedback' started by mwittman77, July 17, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. mwittman77

mwittman77 New Member

City, State:
      Columbus, OH
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      17 Explorer Sport 4WD
      Hey, I get it. Lots of questions get asked over and over, similar responses, etc. But to be honest, most of the time a question gets asked that's unique to the circumstance, doesn't have an appropriate thread that answers all details of the question, and then sometimes gets merged into an old thread that's not even for a similarly equipped vehicle.

If the moderators of this forum feel like they want to prevent the same questions from getting asked, then I suggest a little more effort than just merging threads. Increase the amount of sticky refs at the tops of the forums, tag posts appropriately so they show up in searches, and if possible, change the search function to only show one thread as a result, not every single instance of a keyword in that thread, which returns dozens or more results from the exact same thread, none of which provided any useful information.

If I wanted to glean through hundreds of results for a quick answer, I would start and run my own forum rather than visit and use one that keeps merging my posts and telling me to use the search function.

/endrant

• Like Like x 1
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      Thanks I will take that into consideration and see what our moderators have to say.

• Like Like x 1
    4. imp

imp Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Missouri Ozarks
      2004 XLT
      @mwittman77
      Merge threads? I'm glad I don't understand this issue, I think! imp

5. RangerX

RangerX Elite Ranger Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Omao, Kauai
      '93 Ranger XLT 4X4
      Can you link a thread or two where your post was merged, it would help us see what's going on.

6. PlatinumOwner

PlatinumOwner Active Member

City, State:
      SoCal
      2016 Explorer Platinum
    7. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      If you are getting a result for every post with the "keyword" than you haven't done the search in a way that only shows the threads. When I do my searches I only get the threads and not each post with the keyword. That substantially reduces the amount that is presented to you. The 'Search' feature works well depending upon how it is used. Unfortunately there isn't a guideline on the how to use the 'Search' feature. I have come across several new threads that state the OP searched but didn't find anything but yet I was able to find what they were looking for. As for adding more 'Stickys' to the top of a thread page, at one point we had so many that the entire first page of a thread was almost nothing but 'Stickys'. That is why most of them were combined under a 'List of Useful Threads'. I'm not sure how 'tags' are created. It seems to be automatic. I know I haven't specifically created any. I'll discuss this with Rick.

Peter