Dismiss Notice

to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews, discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

P0172 code error

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by mcdavidhome, March 21, 2017 at 1:14 AM.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. mcdavidhome

mcdavidhome New Member

City, State:
      Jackson, MS
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2002 Explorer XLT
      Hello all. I'm trying to figure out what's the deal with this P 0172 code that won't seem to go away on my 02 explorer 4.0. I recently replaced plugs, wires, ignition coil, MAF sensor and air intake. According to the scan tool data from AutoZone it's saying bank 1&2 are too lean but my truck is running and idling just fine though. Not doing too good on gas though. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this problem? Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. imp

imp Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Missouri Ozarks
      2004 XLT
      @mcdavidhome
      Too lean DECREASES fuel consumption, INCREASES fuel economy. So, an imponderable is presented. How do you know it's not "too good on gas"? P0172 code applies only to Bank 1. If the truck runs as well as you indicate, why are you so concerned?
      imp

4. 2Trux

2Trux Active Member

City, State:
      Albuquerque, NM
      2005 Limited V8 4X4
      I believe that the "too lean" code means that the computer is maxing out the fuel adjustment but it is still running lean. This is usually caused by unmetered air getting into the manifold. This could be caused by a bad/cracked vacuum hose, leak in intake hose, or bad/dirty MAF. Since you have replaced the MAF (of course this doesn't mean it's still not bad) I would start looking at all the hoses connected to the intake for splits or breaks.

5. TechGuru

TechGuru Well-Known Member

2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX
      P0172 is too rich NOT too lean !!! Which would explain why it's not good on gas...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 1