and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

P0301, P0302, P0303, P0172 and P0174 codes.

Discussion in 'EEC V' started by David704, March 2, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. David704

David704 New Member

City, State:
      stewd100@aol.com
      Year and Model:
      stewd100@aol.com
      Hey Folks
      I need some help. 2000 Explorer 4.0 s.o.h.c. I have codes 300 multi cylinder. 301,302,303 p0172 and p0174. I have changed the upper and lower intake gaskets. I have replaced the all 4 O2 sensors and fuel filter and checked pressure while driving stays around 65. Engine runs rough and check engine light flashes. If someone could offer any information I would be forever grateful.

Thanks
      Dave

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Virginia Beach, Va
      Year and Model:
      00 4x4 Mounty
      Timing chain guides are gone and letting the chain slack causing missfires. You also can only get to the front one with the engine in the truck. To replace the rear chain guides you must pull the engine .

4. lynchy wa

lynchy wa Down Under Beer Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Albany, Western Australia
      Year and Model:
      2008 ford falcon XR8 ute
      G'day Dave, the only thing I can think of, (which isn't saying much) is cleaning the MAF sensor and throttle body (use the dedicated cleaner for each if you try this). You could also try searching for the problem's you're having in the search bar at the top of the page. Hope this help's.

Well Boomin know's, so disregard my bull s*** but welcome:):thumbsup:

5. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    6. swetrid

swetrid Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Reading Pa
      Year and Model:
      1999 Eddie Bauer
      Sounds like it jumped time

7. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      00 Sport FI,03 Limited V8
      compression check

Misfire sources are: ignition, air/fuel ratio, compression. Your misfire codes are just for the cylinders in bank 1 (passenger side).

P0172 indicates bank 1 is too rich while P0174 indicates bank 2 is too lean. Make sure that your pre-cat O2 sensors for bank 1 and 2 are not cross connected (left sensor going to right PCM input, right sensor going to left PCM input).

I suggest that you perform a compression check to eliminate the right timing chain as a possible source of the misfires.

8. NJFord

NJFord New Member

City, State:
      NJ
      Year and Model:
      2003 Sport Trac
      Ever resolve this? Having the same exact issue.... Cleared the 0171 and 0174 with a new PCV line but still getting the 030x's and a nice tapping

UPDATE: Pulled timing cover and passanger side tensioner/guide on my Crank to Jackshaft chain was wasted. Ordered a new one at dealer and hoping to put in tmrw. It appears from reading ALL OVER this site that P0300,1,2,3s are a result of timing chain issues be it a bad cassett, guide or tensioner. Look around if your having this issue. There are some awesome guides with pics to walk you through the job.

Last edited: January 18, 2012