• Register Today It's free!

P0340 Check Engine Light

naiku

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer Ltd V8
This morning on the way home the CEL lit up, scanned it once home and the only code it is reading is P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor , Bank 1. After doing a little research I came across this video:

Have any of you experienced this code, and did it turn out to be a failing alternator? I plan to test mine later today when I have some more time. Just curious if anyone had this code and it was in fact the alternator. Assuming it is the sensor, where is it located, is there any way to test it, and how difficult and costly is the replacement process?

The Explorer was driving fine, no hesitation, nothing. If it were not for the light it would seem as though there is nothing wrong.

Thanks.

I had this error when I got my used replacement engine. When they cleaned it and "refurbished" it, they bent one of the tabs on the camshaft phaser so I got a valid 340 code.
The camshaft sensor is same as the crank shaft one.

The sensors are very easy to replace, I believe one 8mm bolt near valve cover somewhere in the front.

First, check that the connector is fully engaged. Then, you can swap the sensor with the bank 2 and see if the error moves, if it does, just replace the sensor.

They are about 30 bucks.

Nice, sounds simple and cheap. Thanks.

Back