Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

P0741 on 5r55e after fluid filter change

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by mfitz725, July 17, 2017 at 1:07 AM.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. mfitz725

mfitz725 Active Member

City, State:
      Atlanta Ga
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1999 Explorer Limited 4x4
      I was having no problems with the transmission but thought it time for a fluid/filter change at 160k. Now I'm getting a flashing o/d light and a p0741 code. I've read thru a number of posts and still am not certain how to approach this. Is it possible I damaged the TCC solenoid? I had a devil of a time getting the pan off and on due to it being jammed right up to the cat. Should I attempt to replace that solenoid (and the EPC for good measure). I understand the can be replaced without removing the valve body. Anyone have any ideas? I just can't buy its a coincidence that the TC went out because of a fluid change. This has been discussed a little on another thread I had about the difficulty of getting to the pan. I'm hoping posting here will bring more focused help on the problem. Someone posted a set of instructions for electrical testing but they sort of ran over my head, sorry.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. JK080

JK080 Transmission Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      North Ga
      05 F250 6.0
      The P0741 code will set if the converter wont engage, the most common failure for this code is the TCC solenoid, and can be replaced without removing the valve body. If this does not fix the code the other reasons include the valve body itself or pump and or converter issues.

I would replace the solenoid first and maybe you will be able to tell if it was damaged while installing the pan, the EPC can also be replaced at this time without removing the valve body.

4. mfitz725

mfitz725 Active Member

City, State:
      Atlanta Ga
      I read somewhere on the forum that a new solenoid bracket should be included also. Do you know what that is about?

5. JK080

City, State:
      North Ga
      05 F250 6.0
      Sometimes the bracket that holds the solenoids in the valve body will break and allow the solenoid to move away from its bore, I have only see it a few times but it does happen.

6. mfitz725

mfitz725 Active Member

City, State:
      Atlanta Ga
      Are these brackets available or are we talking about a trip to the Pull-A-Part yard. I've seen the solenoids for sale but not the brackets. Also are these solenoids going to be the same for any 5r55e or are they particular to 2wd and 4wd as I have a 4wd.

Last edited: July 17, 2017 at 5:56 PM
    7. JK080

City, State:
      North Ga
      05 F250 6.0
      I had always found one with the spare parts we have for this unit, but this should be what your looking for.

5r55e Bracket.JPG