and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

painting gray bumpers and flares to match truck

Discussion in 'Body Work & Detailing' started by tbomb, January 22, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. tbomb

tbomb Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Levittown, NY (Long Island)
      Year and Model:
      98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
      i have a white sport with gray ground effects, and i want to paint all the gray on my truck white (like a number of others have done with other colored trucks.) the thing is though, my white paint is already a royal PITA to keep nice, and more of it could present a problem, especially bumpers and flares which take a lot of small rocks and just general abuse in the form of copious amounts of dirt. i suppose i could just get a bumper cover for the front from bumpers.com, but what about the rest? any thoughts?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. XLT_66

XLT_66 Active Member

City, State:
      GO TEXAS TECH
      Year and Model:
      P.O.S. Mitsu Diamante
      Ok, i have a question. On the 99+ bumpers...what is the deal with bumper covers. What is that? I know it sounds like what it is...but what does a normal 99+ bumper look like? I dunno...i am just confused. I have been looking to get a 99+ bumper for my 96 and at bumpers.com they have a "dressed" bumper for the X. Does that have a "bumper cover" on it?

4. tbomb

tbomb Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Levittown, NY (Long Island)
      Year and Model:
      98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
      um, im not sure what a dressed bumper is, but a bumper cover just covers the bumper. its the same shape as a 99 bumper, but you can order it in colors and i dont think itll chip like the real bumper - it goes right over the real bumper on your truck. i mean, you could just paint the bumper whatever color you want, but its easier with a bumper cover and its gives more protection - the real bumper wont get damaged (unless you smash into something.)

what does a normal 99 bumper look like? um, tough to describe - its got those 2 vertical bar like things sticking out of it. i think it looks a lot nicer than my 98 bumper.

if you search for YetiX, he put a 99 bumper on his 96 and put a white bumper cover on it too - it looks really cool.

5. Alec

Alec Elite Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      Year and Model:
      2008 JK
      I think Jefe has the late model bumper without a cover on it. It looks different without the rubbermaid on it.

6. RFR2212

RFR2212 Typing Police Elite Explorer

City, State:
      In the mug by Chitown
      Year and Model:
      95 JEEP Wrangler
      Talk to espnfreak or catch him on AIM at Jewelbagger
      Pete