Painting Motor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting Motor

Ok, I picked up my 302 Yesterday. I am Going to be Replace all Gaskets and paint the Motor. I have desided to paint it all Black. But the Motor has some Rust on it. What should I do to prep the Motor for the paint.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have never painted a motor before. I would say check out your local body shop supply store and ask them.

I think they make a rattle can spray paint that works pretty good. I wouldn't think you would want to put to much on the motor.

Why would you paint it black? Make it a brite color so you can see your hard work.

Originally posted by Kris Guilbeaux
Ok, I picked up my 302 Yesterday. I am Going to be Replace all Gaskets and paint the Motor. I have desided to paint it all Black. But the Motor has some Rust on it. What should I do to prep the Motor for the paint.

Are you going to rebuild the motor? If so a hot tank treatment will get the motor ready for painting.

Why black?

I want it Black to match the Body of My Navajo.

Kris,

When I paint engines I usually degrease them a couple of times with mineral spirits or even better laquer thinner. Wire brush any loose rust, and shoot them with a rattle can of engine enamel from the parts store. works great. They cure with engine heat and on a clean surface are suprisingly durable for something that comes out of a rattle can.

I too ask why Black- I painted my Jeeps engine black, and I have a black one in my Chevy pick up- I know why chevy paints theirs black!! It makes it hard to see the oil leaks. I would use a lighter color like grey- fords grey is good. Or a blue maybe.

good luck

Kris, go to http://www.por15.com/ and order their catalog. They make an excelent engine paint kit (not shown on web site) that includes everything you'll need to paint your engine. Their products are the best I have ever seen or used and well worth the money.

I say paint it CAT Yellow. Like this one:
3100.jpg

;) :D

KEbert,

That is Very cool but I must pass on the the Yellow...

Or, ya just paint it black, cause if it's gonna get muddy, it's gonna be a PITA to keep clean from there on out. That's why I used heat rustolium....and it looks good
Pete

P.S. SOMEDAY, i'll get pics up.

We always used high temp. Plasticote on the engines. The shop hot tanked and degreased everything for us. When the everything came back them we washed them with brake cleaner and a brush.

Back