Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Painting My Stock Rims

Discussion in 'Explorer Related Polls' started by Afrojoe, June 7, 2016.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    ?

What Color Should I Paint My Rims?

1. Black

4 vote(s)
      40.0%
    2. Graphite

3 vote(s)
      30.0%
    3. Silver/Steel

1 vote(s)
      10.0%
    4. Not At All

1 vote(s)
      10.0%
    5. Other?

1 vote(s)
      10.0%
    1. Afrojoe

Afrojoe Member

City, State:
      Ringgold, GA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 Ford Explorer XL 4WD
      I think it's just a base XL. Crank windows, manual locks. Basic everything except for the 5RR5E and leather seats. And it's got a centersole I can't find anywhere else. 2 cup holders front and 2 in back. And it's open on front and back (about 40 percent front 60 percent back). When I bought it they had it wired for an amp/sub, a CB, and a Quartz Hour meter.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Mr. Alligator

Mr. Alligator Active Member

Media:
      City, State:
      Tampa, Florida
      1997 XLT Explorer
      Nice looking truck!

Just an idea: you could print a photo of your rig, and add colors to your rims. Personally, I like the black with chrome center caps. Clean and scuff rims, then use good aluminum/metal primer. This should work very nicely.

Good luck with your project.

image.jpeg

4. Afrojoe

Afrojoe Member

City, State:
      Ringgold, GA
      Thanks Alligator. I like the way she looks so far. I'd like to get a brush guard like yours though! I can only find the Chinese ones for like 200 something or Black Horse ones for around 300. I might eventually have custom bumpers made. Or just buy a brush guard for a small frame truck and cut the head light guards off. I already painted my rims that plain grey color, but I didn't think about using photoshop to test colors out. I like them as is, but eventually I'll buy some silver/chrome wagon wheels and get 31s. It'll all be slowly assembled lol. My Explorer Wish List is a bit lengthy right now haha.

5. Afrojoe

Afrojoe Member

City, State:
      Ringgold, GA
      Here's a renewal to ask another cosmetic opinion. I've been thinking about trying to clean up my engine bay recently, and was trying to think of a good color to paint my valve covers and maybe intake plenum (I want to get a Gen 1 Aluminum Plenum). Do you guys think I should paint them? What else should I paint? (I'm not pulling the engine so painting the block is out lol) I plan to touch up my wiper arms and trim to a nice black color so that's already on the list.
      [​IMG]
      Newest picture. If she was black I'd paint the engine anodized purple, I've been thinking "Competition Ford Blue" or maybe an anodized blue but then again I feel like it'll be bright and kinda tacky unlike black (but black will hide oil and other things I'd rather notice). So. Engine bay color thoughts? Also I've been thinking about getting new rims like the double-five spoke rims from Gen 3s which might look good. Gotta make sure the lady looks good, right?

6. Afrojoe

Afrojoe Member

City, State:
      Ringgold, GA
      So the other day I went and bought paint. Got Semi Gloss Black to do my hood cowl and wiper arms and Rustoleum Bed Liner for my bumpers and trim. I decided on Old Ford Blue as I think it'll compliment my X well and not be to over powering or flashy. [​IMG]
      Went ahead and tested it on my reservoir caps and I think it looks fairly good. [​IMG] (Sad little run) Now just to decide what all to paint. If I keep the plastic plenum I'm thinking I'll just do valve covers and the intake manifold. I don't want to dig down any further. I also bought some Very High Temp paint for my exhaust manifolds but I'm a little weary on removing them since a broken bolt could mean pulling the heads. Might buy JBA short headers in the future so I could hold off on that and just paint the exhaust tip to freshen her up.