Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Painting or Plastic Dip Door handles

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorer Sport Tuning' started by willstatus, July 18, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jc_slick

jc_slick Member

City, State:
      New York City, NY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2018 Ford Explorer XLT
      Can you provide pics ?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. LIrican

LIrican Active Member

City, State:
      Annapolis, MD
      2014 Ford Explorer Sport
      Sure let me get it cleaned up.

I don't have any close ups on my phone.

Just this:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    4. jc_slick

jc_slick Member

City, State:
      New York City, NY
      2018 Ford Explorer XLT
      Looks good! Thanks for the pic.

5. JimiJak

JimiJak Member

City, State:
      Grand Rapids, MI
      2014 Ford Explorer Sport
      Anyone else have this problem? I had one of the spring assemblies come out of its 'home' during re-install.

HELP!

6. JimiJak

JimiJak Member

City, State:
      Grand Rapids, MI
      2014 Ford Explorer Sport
      OK, so...for anyone else that runs into this issue I thought I would do a little write up.

This was on a '14 Sport
      When removing the door handles; After loosening the set screw (T20 Torx) in the end of the door, you have to pull the handle outwardd (like you're opening the door) and then slide it back towards the rear of the vehicle. When doing this you will feel a pop, and the handle will slide backwards about half of the way. Once this happens the latch mechanism on the inside of the door has locked in the 'ready' position, where it stays - waiting for your to reinstall the handle. Once the handle clicks into place like this it is important that you release the handle back in towards the vehicle before you slide it to the rear the rest of the way and remove it.

As far as the vinyl wrapping went, it wasn't bad at all especially with a heat gun. A little bit of heat went a long way to make the vinyl easier to work with.
      There is a T15 Torx bit in the end of the handle assembly once it's off. Remove this screw and you can insert a small flat head screwdriver between the chrome handle and the ABS under-handle assembly. Pull back on the mounting tab on the under-handle while you maintain pressure on the screwdriver and it will pop apart...making it wicked easy to wrap the vinyl around the back of the chrome piece so that it tucks in flush behind it once it's snapped back together.

Now onto the problem:
      When I was removing my first handle I didn't follow my own instructions from above, and accidentally knocked the internal latch assembly with the spring out of it's track.
      In order to fix it (and this is the only way to get everything back together) you have to remove the door panel and repair it from the inside. Mine happened on the driver's side rear door.

Step 1: open the door and remove the two 7mm screws at the bottom of the door.
      2: pop the bolt cover off from behind the door grab handle (small plastic, black, cover) and remove the 10mm bolt.
      3: pop off the bolt cover from behind the internal door-latch handle, and remove that 10mm bolt.
      - with these four screw/bolts out, it's time to remove the panel.
      4: The door panel is held to the door by metal V tabs. First locate the plastic shield that runs along the window edge above the panel and pry it straight off. The tabs will release and it pops off.
      5: start around the edge of the door and pull the panel towards you, you will feel the door panel tabs start to pop off and the panel will eventually be freed from the door.
      6: remove the wiring harness and the latch cable
      7: undo the manual door lock from the metal guide
      8: unscrew the T25 Torx head bolt from the exterior of the door, releasing the face of the exterior latch assembly
      9: remove the three T25 Tor head bolts from around the door latch mechanism
      10: with these four bolts removed the internal latch assembly is no longer secured to the door.
      11: peel back the plastic window to access the internal compartment within the door
      12: there is a metal vertical support beam that helps support the window. This support is removable. (with this support removed, you can bring the entire assembly out of the vehicle to repair it, then reinstall) I chose not to remove the support and just drop the latch assembly down to where I could get hands on it, still within the door.
      13: From here you can re-assemble the latch mechanism within the latch assembly. The tricky part is the spring. The spring has two arms, one on either end. The straight arm goes against the metal bracket, and the bent arm goes into a small slot in the plastic. The purpose of this spring is to keep tension on the latch assembly and return it fully to the closed position when not being pulled.
      From here the latch assembly slides into a hole towards the exterior end of the door and clicks into a channel on the interior end of the door.
      14: With the latch assembly re-assembled, you can put the latch assembly back into place and reinstall the four bolts that hold the latch assembly in place.
      15: From here you can reverse the steps from above and re-assemble the door.
      16: The final step is re-installing the handles.
      17: First insert the interior end of the handle, then the exterior end of the handle. Now slide the trim tab into place.
      18: push the handle in like you are closing the door, as you slide the handle towards the vehicle you will feel the latch assembly as the handle tab slides into it. You will have to pull the handle out a bit, but once it clicks into place you can just hold pressure on it until you can drive the torx set screw back in.

Hopefully no one else runs into this issue, and these instructions are useless...it was a pain figuring all of this out. lol

[​IMG]

7. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Just thought I'd throw this in. It is the door handle on my MKT. Something a little different.

Peter

Attached Files:

Last edited: April 28, 2014
    8. TMack2300

TMack2300 Active Member

City, State:
      Livonia, Michigan
      2014 Explorer Sport
      a how too

a how to with a video would be nice... pics would be a plus..
      i want these chrome handels gone....;)

9. Sgt1411

Sgt1411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      VanBC/GoodyearAZ
      2017 Explorer SPORT
      Just confirming you completely removed the handles without ripping the interior door panels off ........correct?

UPDATE:

I just took my front handles off tonight, very easy.

1. Front door inside edge just above latch assembly (that grabs frame when door is closed) is a black rubber grommet. Pop that off and look inside to see Torx T20 screw.

DO NOT UNSCREW ALL THE WAY OR YOU RISK DROPPING SCREW INTO INSIDE OF DOOR.

I SUGGEST NO SCREW DRIVER WITH DETACHABLE TORX T20 BIT OR IT MAY COME OUT OF DRIVER AND FALL INTO DOOR.

2. Back that screw off a little at a time until the chrome end cap of the handle comes out.

3. Pull the chrome handle open like you would when opening the door and then pull/slide towards back of vehicle. The front of the handle is connected via electrical connector for the keyless entry touchpad. Unclip that connector and your handle is off.

Back doors don't seem to have a rubber grommet that I can see so I will tackle those tomorrow.

Back doors have a very small circular decal under the outer weather stripping on the outside of the door. That decal is covering the access hole that allows you to use the T20 Torx to loosen the door handle for removal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2014
    10. christglenn

christglenn New Member

City, State:
      petersburg,michigan
      2014 ford explorer sport
      Blacked out door handles

What I did was I bought some chrome door handle covers from amazon for $30 and some 3M 1080 gloss black vinyl wrap and wrapped the door handle covers that way every part of the handle got wrapped and was able to tuck the wrap on the back side of cover so there wont be any peeling away issues and if they get scratched or damaged down the road I can just pop the covers off to rewrap them they turned out great it took a couple tries to figure out the whole heating and stretching the wrap but they came out perfect with no bubbles or creases.

Attached Files:

11. LIrican

LIrican Active Member

City, State:
      Annapolis, MD
      2014 Ford Explorer Sport
      Do you have a link to the door handles?

12. sagester

sagester New Member

City, State:
      Indiana
      2014 XLT
      I really like the idea of the covers. Once on, is there any evidence that they are covers? Can you see the original chrome at all? Do you "feel" them? Thanks!

13. christglenn

christglenn New Member

City, State:
      petersburg,michigan
      2014 ford explorer sport
    14. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
    15. christglenn

christglenn New Member

City, State:
      petersburg,michigan
      2014 ford explorer sport
      door handle covers

Yes I do not have the keyless fob for sensor on handle so these would not work for any with the push button start.

16. christglenn

christglenn New Member

City, State:
      petersburg,michigan
      2014 ford explorer sport
      door handle covers

if you stand directly over top of these handle covers and look straight down you can only see a small portion of chrome on the backside of the handle everything else is totally covered and you can not feel them because it covers the whole handle.

17. stoev

stoev Member

2011 explorer limited
      With the Vinyl of 3M can i do also the chrom bracket on the doors, the behind with explorer written and the front bumper lines?

18. sagester

sagester New Member

City, State:
      Indiana
      2014 XLT
      I have a sign shop and play with vinyl daily, although we don't really do any vehicle mods, just strictly commercial work. We just picked up our Ex. last night and I plan on using vinyl for the door trim and front grill, but after looking at the liftgate trim with the raised Ex. lettering, I think that will need to be painted or plasti dipped. I don't think you'll be able to get the vinyl down in all of the recesses and keep it there.

19. Sgt1411

Sgt1411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      VanBC/GoodyearAZ
      2017 Explorer SPORT
      Also consider waiting to get the 2015 OEM body color door handles. Very easy to exchange.

20. BillyG2014Sport

BillyG2014Sport Member

City, State:
      Delawhere?
      2014 Ford Explorer Sport
      Handles and Ford Oval

I purchased some black 3M vinyl that had silver flakes in that actually matches the Tuxedo black paint very well. I had a local window tint shop put it on my handles and Ford emblems. They also used a special tint to cover the amber on my headlights, reverse lights, rear blinkers and side blinkers. I paid about $15 for the vinyl and they installed everything for $100 and it came out great. I hated the chrome and wasn't sure if I wanted to paint them and how much it would cost. The vinyl is holding up great everywhere and I am very pleased with the look. I used my crappy iPhone 4s to take the photos. They were taken inside of my garage and the lighting sucks. Hope you get the idea of what they look like up close.

Attached Files:

Last edited: July 28, 2014
    21. SHAD0W

SHAD0W Active Member

Explorer
      Sgt:

Back in 2012, when I was researching and thinking of getting an Ex (waited til 2014), I was also planning on what mods I could do. The sheer amount of chrome was the first thing that adversely caught my attention. I asked the local dealer if the chrome handle covers could be painted, etc. He referred me to the dealer autobody shop. The shop stated that the base model and Interceptor model handle covers can be painted because they are black, plastic, and can be easily prepped. The chrome ones, according to him, would would be almost impossible to paint because of the chrome/preparation involved (impossible, likely meaning not worth the time, effort, and expense). Fast forward to 2014, to get matching colors, you would have to order the black covers in a special order status called "paint to match." Here, you would buy the covers and pay for both the part and to have it painted (more expensive). When your part arrived, you would bring it over to the shop, show em your receipt and wait for the painting to be done.

Fast forward a bit more when news broke about the 15 model year having matching door handle covers--I went back to the dealer to chit chat with some friends who work in the Fleet Department, and one of them mentioned that despite the matching door handle covers on the 15 models, you would still have to order them "paint to match." So it appears that Ford will not be stocking pre-painted door handle covers for folks to simply order.

You might wanna look into this and see if there's any truth in the matter. These are friends speculating, but who am I to challenge them since they are Ford employees. I would hate to see other folks having difficulty in doing this mod--unless they're happy with dipping or vinyl wraps.

BillyG2014Sport: are those wrapped or painted? Looks good!

22. JETZ

JETZ Active Member

2012 Explorer Limited
      Sorry to say but not impressed with the wrap, glad I had mine painted. Lots of rough fold over marks are very visible.

frank

[​IMG]

23. JETZ

JETZ Active Member

2012 Explorer Limited
      You mean 'change', no exchange from Ford. ;)

No parts that I know of come pre painted like bumper, doors etc, or handles, all are 'black' ready for paint.

24. Sgt1411

Sgt1411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      VanBC/GoodyearAZ
      2017 Explorer SPORT

Yup the 2015 Explorer body color handles came painted. I have Tuxedo Black on my Sport. They have a newer style PEPS Passive Entry door touch button integrated into the door handle instead of the older plastic insert.

[​IMG]

25. JETZ

JETZ Active Member

2012 Explorer Limited
      Wow, that's a new one, looks good of course!

How much were the covers?

Last edited by a moderator: July 29, 2014
    26. Sgt1411

Sgt1411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      VanBC/GoodyearAZ
      2017 Explorer SPORT
      Those aren't covers, those are the 2015 Explorer Sport OEM door handles.