Painting the interior... | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting the interior...

I read a thread a while back about painting the interior vinyl so I went ahead and bought some black vinyl paint and did my door panels and stuff. They look great and the paint works wonderfully but I was wondering if it would work on leather? Has anyone tried this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same here Brandon. It has a nice shine to it, and people seem to like it. I get the most compliments on my interior than anything else.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Originally posted by Brandon4AU
Most people like the flat black the best....its really a personal preference. Mine has a gloss. DIdnt like it at first but I like it now.
Originally posted by Mikes95XLT
Same here Brandon. It has a nice shine to it, and people seem to like it. I get the most compliments on my interior than anything else.

Cool.. I figured the semi would give me what I want. Thanks, I'll prob start this weekend if I don't have to pick up my Carbon Fiber fairings for my gixxer.

thanks

Shawn

If you want to see what the glossy will look like you can take a look at the pics of mine in my sig....

Good luck, and take pics when you're done!!

Or...you could re-wrap the console lid and door panels to get rid of that ugly vinyl with holes in it.;)

Attachments

• door.jpg
    door.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 405

Console

Attachments

• console cover.jpg
    console cover.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 318

Sorry Shaun I'm not sending you my door panels..... :p :p :p Anyone else who needs the center console done however, Shaun is the man to talk to. I had mine done with him....

Originally posted by SSIKORA
Or...you could re-wrap the console lid and door panels to get rid of that ugly vinyl with holes in it.;)
attachment.php

Damn that looks sweet.

Originally posted by Mikes95XLT
If you want to see what the glossy will look like you can take a look at the pics of mine in my sig....

Good luck, and take pics when you're done!!

Thanks. Pic's are nice, so you like glossy better.

HELP

OK guys, a little problem here:

I painted my front passenger door and center console lid with great results. A few days later, I took off my diver's door and the two rear doors (the panels, that is) to paint. Fully taped up and ready for spraying, I proceeded to paint them, leaving out one step that I did with the passenger door: soap-and-water cleaning. It completely slipped my mind. Now the paint won't set correctly, leaving splotches of gloss and splotches of matte (I have semi-gloss, I guess that's what you'd call it) which looks just plain BAD. I've been without door panels for DAYS now, I've tried cleaning and respraying, I wetsanded down the driver's door and resprayed, but now it's a VERY flat matte, which also looks bad. I resprayed it and we're back to the splotches. I tried following hartman's suggestion of letting WD40 soak in and taking the paint off, but it only takes off a thin layer, and it STILL dried splotchy. Am I going to have to buy new door panels, and if so, anyone with a second gen gray interior want to part with theirs? :D

I am interested in seeing those pics. I think the all black thing had been mentioned before but I havent seen it done.

I've been working on doing that to mine.. It's still in progress, as the cargo area did not hold up well due to all the crap I had bouncing around.. My dad painted a dash in the truck (replacement that came in brown) blue to match his interior.. I don't know what it was called, but it's made for the plastic stuff.. My doors are holding up fine.. I'll try to get some pics too...

I wasn't going to go entirely black though.. I'm thinking about grey carpet and headliner and grey/black custom seats (Notice a theme?)

Originally posted by BarberJ
I have a all black interior in my explorer.. cept my seats.. I'll look for picts...

Could you please.

Originally posted by Brandon4AU
I am interested in seeing those pics. I think the all black thing had been mentioned before but I havent seen it done.

I'm doing mine all Black with alittle Red.

yay!! finally got pics of mine. its a crappy pic, but you get the idea. Dead Link Removed

I tried to get the door panels off to paint the speaker grilles etc, but I could NOT get them off, even with the thread here that tells you how to do it. They would NOT come off at all.....

Anyone have any suggestions?

How exactly would they not come off? Did the plastic rivets just not pull out? If so, keep pulling, you won't break them. If you can, try sliding a pair of pliers inbetween the "cap" of the rivet and the door, grab the stalk, and pry it out. You won't hurt it.

If your door got epoxied back on then....um....you're unlucky :rolleyes:

do you guys know where you can buy more of the little plastic connector things (the things that hold the door on)? does the dealer have them? (i'm sure they're really cheap even there.

also for those of you who have done your carpet on the doors- did you have to use a brush of some kind and rub the stuff in? (like the instructions on the dye say) or were you able to just spray a couple of coats and get a good enough coverage that way?

in the near future i'm going to go back and do the carpet on the doors, put in a black carpet kit, and a black headliner to further accent the painting i've already done. i think the headliner and carpet kit will make a huge difference!

you can buy the door clips at local car places usually. Like Murrays has them...I don't know if you have Murray's by you though.

Originally posted by expo5.0
also for those of you who have done your carpet on the doors- did you have to use a brush of some kind and rub the stuff in? (like the instructions on the dye say) or were you able to just spray a couple of coats and get a good enough coverage that way?
I just sprayed it on. Good enough coverage for me. The dye I used was the same for my vinyl. It said it could be used on carpet as well...Dont think it said anything about brushing it in. My carpet was stiff at first....maybe brushing it in will prevent that.

Back