Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Parasitic battery power drain.

Discussion in '2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac' started by D.m, May 17, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. D.m

D.m New Member

City, State:
      Rock Hill
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      03 ford explo.sport trac
      I have a Ford explorer sport tracker 2003 v6 4.0 I had a nearly new engine put in it. It runs like a wet dream! However something strange happens! The head lights at first firing up, cut on and will not cut off and could not be switched off till you remove the battery. I wrestle with this issue for months now. And now the headlights stay off. But the door lock toggle switch lights stay lit on both doors along with a flashing theft light which I found out is supposed to be normal? All other accessories on the door are off except for the lime green dimly glowing door toggle switches. I had installed a brand new battery and thought these little door lock lights would turn off along with the "anti-theft" light and in the early mourning before the sun came up the battery was dead. The truck does not have DRL that I can find according to the dealership printout it's supposed to be just under the driver side bumper just next to, behind or under the head light. BUT ITS NOT ANYWHERE I can find so I'm assuming this XLT model does not have any. The anti-theft light I found out according to what I read is not supposed to turn off. I bought a fob and programmed it to work on my truck. It works fine except that when I open the doors with it, the headlights turn on and will never cut off...at least till the battery is dead. The rearview mirror cable is not connected. Please help, I'm a disabled vet and can't afford to take it to the dealership, so I have to try and figure this out. Mechanics don't know anymore then me on this one.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    4. sr139fox

sr139fox Active Member

City, State:
      North Carolina
      2001 Ford Sport Trac
      Try a clamp on amp meter. See if you have any drain reading. Start pulling fuses and see if it stops
      No amp meter, try a multi-meter in line with the negative post. Just don't try to start up it with the meter hooked up.