Parking brake stays on?

Niklas1

Reaction score
City, State
Oslo, Sweden
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac XLT 4wd
2003, xlt 4wd.
I think my parking brake might not release properly. The light on the dash stays on after i release the brake.

It started a few days ago when it was parked with the brake on hand it was snowing, melted and then froze again during the night. It stayed on for a short while when I started driving. But this morning it never went away for my 10 minute drive.

I'm wondering if it could be too tight for some reason? When we moved it while doing work on it it seemed really hard to roll it (without engine on, in neutral).

Can I check that easily? Remedy easily?

Edit: fixed it. Low brake fluid. Just topped it up a bit and no more light.

The light really has nothing to do with the parking brakes. There's a little push-button switch that is mounted above parking brake pedal. As soon as the pedal is depressed (even if only a tiny bit) it will turn on the BRAKE light. Pull up on the parking brake pedal to make sure it's fully up. However, the BRAKE light may also come on if your're low on brake fluid. Have you checked the master cylinder reservoir fluid level?

Thanks for the information

Somewhat off topic, but the #1 cause of parking (not emergency) brake issues or failure is NOT using them. Can't count the number of complaints of seized parking brake parts. Wonder why? Parking brake work on Explorers can be a PITA, and using them should be considered preventative maintenance.

Back