and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Parking brake won't disengage

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by buckeyebt, March 20, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. buckeyebt

buckeyebt New Member

City, State:
      cleveland
      Year and Model:
      '00 xlt
      Parking brake was applied and now will not release. They are actually locked very tightly. I've tried things with the break pedals and release pull, but with no luck. Any ideas appreciated.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. oldestyle

oldestyle New Member

City, State:
      hamilton ontario canada
      Year and Model:
      91 eddie bauer
      try pulling on the cabel under the truck this works some times a good hard yank

4. marragtop

marragtop Well-Known Member

City, State:
      balt, md
      Year and Model:
      91, 92, 95, and 2000 xlts
      If pulling the cable doesn't work, try backing off the cable adjuster. You need to determine if the problem is with the front cable, or the cables going into the wheels. If both wheels are locked, I would assume it's the front cable/pedal setup.

5. buckeyebt

buckeyebt New Member

City, State:
      cleveland
      Year and Model:
      '00 xlt
      It looks like only one wheel is locked. Where is the cable adjuster? Thanks!

6. ExplorerDMB

ExplorerDMB Moderator/Technician Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Mechanicsville, Virginia
      Year and Model:
      2004 Acura TL
      it's along side of the frame rail on the driver side - I believe it's right between the driver and rear door. I had this problem on my Explorer after the body lift, we had to disconnect the ebrake so when you put the ebrake on it woudn't let go - but I can't remember how we fixed it. My memory is fading on me.

-Drew

7. airwolf

airwolf New Member

City, State:
      Mishawaka, IN
      Year and Model:
      95 Eddie B.
      You cable might be rusted up a little also. I would try to put some penetrating lubricant in the cable.

I had this problem on other vechiles of mine.

Something to try if it is locked, if the wheel will still turn, is back up semi quickly and hit the brakes hard but not hard enough to lock them up. This sometimes will free it up (at least on drum brakes), not sure if it will work on disk ones also.

--Chad

8. IAmTodd

IAmTodd 4x Explorer Veteran Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Johnstown, PA
      Year and Model:
      2001 Jeep Cherokee
      Back off the adjuster on the offending wheel, remove the cable that attaches to the backing plate on the axle. Get a new e-brake cable. Same thing happened to mine. Bet you ten internet dollars that its on the drivers side, and the rubber coating is worn off of it to the metal coiling inside?