• Register Today It's free!

Parts source for reverse servo?

josh93rodeo

Reaction score
City, State
Carson City, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT & 91 Sport
What parts (part #'s) are needed to fix the leaky reverse servo piston for the A4LD? I assuming you replace to o-rings on the piston and the cover gasket?? And were can I order them?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the links :D
So is the repair sleave kit necessary? Or could I just get by with the D-rings and the cover gasket. I don't really want to pull the valve body to have it machined if I can avoid it.

Also, I read in another thread that you need to drop the valve body to fix this. Looking at Glacier's post it seems like that wouldn't be needed. It seems like he just suggests replacing the seals with the d-ring kit.

One problem area that can be easily fixed with the transmission in the car is the low/reverse servo leakage problem - the delayed engagement in drive or reverse and the "jerk" on engagment. Here's the servo cover you need to remove:

15286Dscn4072.jpg

Ok so, for those wanting to just fix the low reverse servo... it IS spring loaded, but it is not a strong spring... just be mindful there is a spring behind that cover, remove the cover bolts evenly.... and voila....

15286Dscn4082.jpg

Here's the servo out of the bore. Replace the seals using a new version and your delayed engagement problem will be solved. Use vaseline lubricant (you know how to do THIS right ?) to carefully put it back in the bore.... make sure you first remove the gasket - it tends to stay on the valve body - put IT on the servo cover which goes on last after the servo body is in the bore.

15286Dscn4083.jpg

Just remove the 4 bolts holding the cover, and replace the 2 O rings with the D ring kit. Check the gasket, bore, and the servo's tip for damage. Replace those parts if it's necessary. Test the low/reverse band with a long phillips screwdriver.

Thanks Brooklyn for all your help.
How do you go about testing the reverse band with a philips?

Back