@#$@ PATS....Won't start, broken ignition collar..HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

@#$@ PATS....Won't start, broken ignition collar..HELP!

adambant

Reaction score
City, State
Bayonne, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
White 1999 XLT SOHC v6
First off let me just vent and say how rediculous the PATS system is. I mean I understand its a great anti-theft system, but it is just to expensive and invasive if you need a new key or have any other problem. :mad:

Ok. So heres the story. I have a 99, and only ONE working key. I was planning on installing a remote start today. So to get around paying an arm and a leg for a new key and ford to program it, i tried to "cheat", by permanently attaching the working key to the ring collar that reads the chipped key. In attempting to remove the "ring" from the ignition switch that reads the chip in the key, the ring broke, wire too.

So, i thought ok, no biggy. I got my dremel out, shaved down the plastic on each side of the break to clean shiny metal wire, and soldered them back together. Put it back in , no dice. Theft light blinking super fast, truck just cranks, no start with working key. (Yes, I disconnected the battery, hit the brake pedal, waited a few minutes, did the hokey pokey, and reconnected, tried again, still the same)

I have a couple questions. First, that little green plastic thing with one black wire coming out of it, is that part of the PATS too? I think not, it looks like that wire goes the steering wheel, perhaps to do with horn or cruse control?

Second more important question. If i goto Ford, or a junkyard today, and can get my hands on a new/used PATS ignition collar thingy, will it work? I ask because i seem to remember reading that all parts of the PATS system are linked as a fully matched set soto speak, as in if you replace one part of it, without the dealer completly reprogramming it, it won't work.

I need to get this fixed asap, its my only vehicle. Any help is needed and appreciated. Thanks!

Adam.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, far as I know all the components, ( pats module, ignition ring. key, and pcm) must be from the same vehicle.

As a simpler solution, which will pay you back---

Get an xcal2 device, from James Henson. I do not recommend dealing with anyone else on this matter

www.hensonperformance.com

Have him load tune files in it which eliminate the PATS functions.

You will also gain a performance and mileage tune, while also having scan tool capabilities, and real time data logging functions.

the third tune file can be a "valet" or" dead truck" file to prevent theft.

Damn this sucks. Ford can get me a new "transceiver", the ring collar on the ignition for $45 on tuesday. But yea, I did some digging, and yea, even if i get a new transceiver for the ignition, it won't work unless FORD reprograms it to work with MY Pats, and then I'm just back to stock, still PATS, booooo. SOOOoo. Im stuck, anyway I slice it, I'm stuck for atleast 4 days with no Explorer :thumbdwn: Gonna have to borrow my fathers grand marquis...:rolleyes:

Im gonna call Henson Performance, and will most likely go for the tuner, becuase anyway I do this, its gonna cost several hundred bucks and the better part of a week. Atleast with the tuner, PATS is history, and I won't have to tow the X to Ford and get robbed, all to still have PATS.

Thanks for pointing me onto the tuner Turdle :salute:

Now....I have to call my wife and explain how I broke the explorer, and how much $$ we have to spend to fix it :banghead:

Ordered the tuner. Will be here tuesday, but won't get back to my truck till wednesday. Ill let you know what I think of the tuner aside from haveing a PATS free running truck :cool:

What are your impressions/observations of the tuner turdle, is the power/mileage a notable change?

Well, to be honest I needed it at the time for a custom tune in my old Mountaineer , but i have a few friends with them and they work great.

Techieman33 has improvements documented I believe. You'll notice:thumbsup:

You can replace the ring around the ign switch with out programming, it is called the transciever. The Pats module located above the pass airbag and the pcm work together for the programming, only when one of those two are replaced on this truck does it need to be programmed. If you get another key programmed you can program a third yourself (and as many as you want up to 8 if I remember right), that is why all my family members have 3 keys so if they loose one they can program another without me having to bring the tool home from work.

Transceiver problem, I think

I believe the transceiver on my 01 Explorer Sport is the problem in starting my truck too. My husband took it off and it appears that it was broken and someone tried to glue it back together. If I can get a new one of these, does it need to still be brought to Ford and have them reprogram it? I hate to have to pay their crazy prices plus a towing fee.

I could be wrong but it sounds like you cleared the pats system of the key codes and now it has to be reset ..This happens when you try to use a key without a chip in it or the chip has gone bad and the system shuts itself down..

Even if you use an unprogrammed key it will not clear all the keys, it just locks you out for about a minute. The ring around the ign lock cylinder is not something that needs reprogramming. It is a transciever and not a programable module.

I was able to lower column, install and fix my broken shifter and tube. Now the problem is the car will not crank over-all the necessary lights for engine start up will come on but the car will not crank over. It appears to be the anti-theft (P.A.T.S) system. Is there ANYWAY to overide, disable bypass, or uninstall the system so as to get my car started? It has gone for over a month now since I've installed shifter and I've tried everything including calling Ford to bypass or disable system and either they do not know or refuse to enlighen me. I just want to get the car started-it does not matter if I have to take the entire PATS system off and run a wire straight to starter. If I put in a new ignition will it start it? You mean there is NO WAY to bypass or disable PATS system? Amazing!PLEASE HELP!!!

I was able to lower column, install and fix my broken shifter and tube. Now the problem is the car will not crank over-all the necessary lights for engine start up will come on but the car will not crank over. It appears to be the anti-theft (P.A.T.S) system. Is there ANYWAY to overide, disable bypass, or uninstall the system so as to get my car started? It has gone for over a month now since I've installed shifter and I've tried everything including calling Ford to bypass or disable system and either they do not know or refuse to enlighen me. I just want to get the car started-it does not matter if I have to take the entire PATS system off and run a wire straight to starter. If I put in a new ignition will it start it? You mean there is NO WAY to bypass or disable PATS system? Amazing!PLEASE HELP!!!

Did you ever find a solution ti this mess im in the same boat I jus want it gone too cheap as possible

Did you ever find a solution ti this mess im in the same boat I jus want it gone too cheap as possible

Yeah, far as I know all the components, ( pats module, ignition ring. key, and pcm) must be from the same vehicle.

As a simpler solution, which will pay you back---

Get an xcal2 device, from James Henson. I do not recommend dealing with anyone else on this matter

www.hensonperformance.com

Have him load tune files in it which eliminate the PATS functions.

You will also gain a performance and mileage tune, while also having scan tool capabilities, and real time data logging functions.

the third tune file can be a "valet" or" dead truck" file to prevent theft.

Sadly, James Henson appears to have closed down Henson Performance, Inc. Is there anyone else you'd trust in his stead?

Sadly, James Henson appears to have closed down Henson Performance, Inc. Is there anyone else you'd trust in his stead?

Yeah, bummer huh? I think you'll need to contact SCT for your answer. Sorry I can't be more help

Do you already have an SCT Tuner?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back