LoquetusofBorg

"Resistance is Futile"
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Eureka, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport-Limited
Does anyone know if the PATS system would allow the key on system check but no starting? That could be an issue I will check today. Anyone please chime in as I am taking anything at this point.
Thanks in advance.
Robert

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This thread might have an answer for you.

As far as I know, a non pats key will do everything except start the truck. If the theft light flashes while starting there is an issue. The truck will "turn on " and all other cluster lights will go off as normal.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234975

Thanks

Thank you. That did help. I now have a secondary thing to check out after the battery charges and I put it back in. I am hoping, although it's slim, that it was the battery that lost all or most of its charge, which it did. There should be no reason for it not to start, the rap module, anti-theft module, ecu and flashers and relays are all out of my sport, so nothing should actually change. The only thing I swapped out was the gem module and I am thinking that wasn't necessary. Well again thank you and I will definitely look that and figure this out with the groups help.
Sincerely,
Robert

Well, it wasn't the battery. I did notice that when I did the key to the on position the theft light stays on for about 3 or 4 seconds and because I never knew to look for that before I have to ask, is that normal?
I did not change anything but the wiring harness and I left the pats system all in tact. I know from reading in this forum that the ecu is only for the engine control and it takes it's orders from rap module and the anti-theft module on whether to start or not, so that entire system was left intact. I am thinking maybe the key reader in the steering wheel is not reading the key. Although I hate to do this do you think I should skeletonize the reader off my old steering column, has anyone had that problem in the past?
Please anyone chime in on this as I would like to get it running by tomorrow.
Much thanks.
Robert

Yea... 3 seconds is normal for the light to go on, then it turns off.

Long shot, but fuel pump shut-off (inertia) switch and connector checked? Collision not required, known to go bad.
If the engine cranks but does not start after a collision, the fuel pump shut-off switch may have been activated. The ‘‘Fuel Reset’’ indicator light will illuminate in the instrument cluster. The shut-off switch is a device intended to stop the electric fuel pump when your vehicle has been involved in a substantial jolt.

FUEL PUMP SHUT-OFF SWITCH (Page 135)
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/98expog1e.pdf

I did check that button after I installed everything but I can't get it to crank. No clicking. I am in the process of swapping out the key reader. then I want to take a picture of two wires that are not connected to anything that very well could be the issue as well. One connector has 4 wires in it the other has two.
Thanks again
Robert

Well, it's not the key reader. Forth coming are some pics of a couple of wires that meant something on the limited and will most likely mean something to me as well

Strange I thought we could load pics after buying a membership. I will work on those pics.
Thank you.
Robert

Pats....Working

Hi guys. Got it running and it was not the pats system. It was the gear shift lever. Yeah I know it sounded funny to me also. I was trying to start it in what I thought was park and it was actually in reverse then when I moved it to neutral it was actually in drive. Got it running but it sounds horrible. Sounds like something is trying to get out of the exhaust, might have crossed a wire at least that's what I think. Please weigh in here if you think you might know what that knocking is and I will get on it straight in the morning. I also think the knocking is coming from the right side of the motor. Thank you to all that don't even know that you helped through all the write ups I have been reading and then running out to do them. I also had to set the cab fuse box up for a sport and not a 4 door limited, that also might have played a roll in it.
Sincerely,
Robert

Good, but not great news LOL. Right side meaning passenger side knocking noise?

Either way, check firing order. Note coil pack 1-2-3-5-6-4 (OHV and SOHC same)

Cylinderkey40SOHC.jpg

Thank you for that picture. I think that I have 5 and 6 mixed up, I could swear that I put 5 in the middle. That could explain the knocking. I will switch them on the coil pack and go from there. So much for the knocking of what I thought was the right side, (passenger), I am 58 and my hearing is not what it used to be. Thanks again for your help.
Sincerely,
Robert

Here are the under dash wires that were extra. Can anyone ID them?
Sorry for the crappy pics. If no one knows what they are I will take better pics

Attachments

• 102_1951.jpg
    102_1951.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 233
  • 102_1952.jpg
    102_1952.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 248

Pats... Solved
Thank you all who chimed in...

Pats....Solved

Thank you all

hello again, yes it was the firing order. Runs great now, thank you so very much. I believe the wire plug with the 4 wires could be a trailer braking system and I have no idea what the other one is for. Maybe Leveling system button.
Thanks again.
Sincerely,
Robert
Please moderator marked this as solved

Great to hear. Not surprisingly a very common mistake when people hastily replace spark plug wires expecting
a smoother running engine. Robust as Ford ignitions generally are, should be no surprise with their engineering. Another example is using different spark plug types on each bank from the factory. "Waste spark" EDIS ignition systems seem overly complex to me, yet very seldom does one hear of ignition failures with it.

Is the 4.0 SOHC a wasted spark ignition system?
https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406810

Don't Use Ordinary Spark Plugs with Waste Spark DIS Ignition Systems
http://www.aa1car.com/library/sparkplugs_for_dis.htm

Back